🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Barclaycard second card holder - credit check?

Options
Hi folks,

Was hoping to get a bit of advice from someone who has been in similar situation.

I'm finding it a bit difficult to manage what OH and I spend on groceries day to day, for example I'll grab stuff on the way home from work, he'll get stuff etc and we can never keep track of what we are spending.

I thought the best way to do this would be to get a second card for my Barclaycard, then we can see what we are spending, manage it and pay it off together 50/50.

He is also happy with this, but I wondered if anyone had done this before and if Barclaycard will do a credit search on him?

I've found some info on forum that suggests they will do an identity check rather than a credit check. Has anyone experience that this is the case?

Many thanks

G

Comments

• stephane_2
    stephane_2 Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Options
    They will not do a full credit search on him as you are the main account holder, they might generate an identity check but am not sure...
  • KingElvis
    KingElvis Posts: 4,100 Forumite
    Options
    They will not credit check your partner in any way as you're the one they will come and get if you default.....
    "We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now!"
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gtothec wrote: »
    I thought the best way to do this would be to get a second card for my Barclaycard, then we can see what we are spending, manage it and pay it off together 50/50.

As others have said, this is known as a guest card on your account. Within reason, you can have anyone as a guest on your account. You are still responsible for the money outstanding, if any, and the credit card provider will only speak to you.

Sorry if this is out of order, but a better idea would be to make a shopping list of everything you need and go to the shops once a week, at whatever time suits either or both of you best and buy whats needed then.

You are shopping at just about the most expensive way known to man :D
  • gtothec
    gtothec Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah, I know the way we shop is the worst way!

We do usually do a big shop but I am disgraced by the amount of stuff that rots in the fridge.

We have made lists and meal plans and everything, but I think the thought of having things planned out puts both of us off in a way and we end up not wanting it.

I know we are in a lucky enough position that we don't have to stick religiously to a plan and buget, I do appreciate that, I'm just trying to limit the damage.

actually, there is no justification! must try harder.

Thanks for the credit check advice peeps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family