Which addresses should I use for a Credit Report/Rating?

Options
I'm getting my Credit Reports from Equifax, Experian and Callcredit before I apply for a 0% Credit card.

I have lived at my current address and been on the electoral roll for 3 years here. Before that I lived somewhere for 6 months, before that for 1.5 years and before that for 2.5 years - all on the respective electoral rolls.

My bank however has had a different address for me for the past 7 years - my work address (where I wasn't registered on the electoral roll but i was paying Business Rates and is a big building with possible defaulting residents). I have used this address previously on applications I think and my previous Credit Check. I changed my address at the bank to my current home address about 9 months ago.

My question is which addresses should i use for my credit checks and my credit card application? Is it important for my bank account address to match my home address? And is it more important to be somewhere for longer than on the Electoral Roll?

Help please.

P.S. what is the difference between a Credit Report and a Credit Rating?

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

You'll need to use your main address where you are on the electoral register, and you'll need to give all the other addresses you lived at over the last 6years, so the other 3 by the sounds of it.
    As the bank now know your current address that and your business address will already be linked so any applications you made at that address will already show on the report.

Whats the difference between a credit report and a credit rating
    A report is a useful document which allows you to see what lenders have been reporting about you and what potential new lenders will see, cost £2 for the statutory report or use the free trials if you will remember to cancel them

A rating (or a score) is a number generated by the credit reference agency that has little relevance as to whether you would get credit as it doesn't take into account too many things that a potential lender would consider - not least how much you earn etc. In short a £6/£7 rip off.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family