🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Card declined/refused

Options
Hi - i used my card today to make a purchase. the shopkeeper said my card had been refused twice.

I emailed the credit card company and they say that there are no request for funds so the refusal must have come from the retailer.

Does anyone know exactly what this means or happened (it was after i had entered the pin so the card reader seemed to work)

Thanks.

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It probably means that the retailer's machine failed to contact the bank's computer.
  • zppp
    zppp Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    Options
    Jizzle wrote: »
    Hi - i used my card today to make a purchase. the shopkeeper said my card had been refused twice.

I emailed the credit card company and they say that there are no request for funds so the refusal must have come from the retailer.

Does anyone know exactly what this means or happened (it was after i had entered the pin so the card reader seemed to work)

Thanks.

Sometimes there is a problem with the merchant of the shop processing the card payment through.
    Best Regards

zppp :)

• Jizzle
    Jizzle Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. was hoping it was something like that
  • cainfleming
    Options
    This often happens when retailers process payments as non-face to face even although you are standing there typing your PIN in.

The best thing to do is to contact your bank or credit card company so that they can check the authorisations.

They will be able to tell you if the payment is being processed incorrectly by the retailer.

Hope this helps.

Cain Fleming
    Cain Fleming
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This happens quite frequently for me with my Amex charge card in both car park machines and some Wetherspoons - each time Amex has said it has no record of any contact........ who knows what happened.
    :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 4 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family