We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Too late for ground works?

Options
amcluesent
amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
edited 24 October 2010 at 5:24PM in Gardening
I'm bored with a small lawn (6m*3m) and am going to make into a parterre.

Just wondering if laying in the gravel paths and digging the soil to weather down over winter is best now, or leave everything until next year and watch the telly?

Comments

• lewis70
    lewis70 Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    Hi , sounds like a great Idea , I would say it depends on your soil and the weather , I am on the worlds worst clay and I never do any work when it's wet . I would have said this would be a great time of the year as if you are going to put in any mini hedging the winter is the time for bare root palnts which is the cheapest way of buying it.
    LBM .Aug 2010,Total Debts £11317.59,Overdraft £1805.75, CC1 £3529.59,CC2 £3145.00,Council Tax £1100.00, HMRC £678.00,Friends £960.
    OMG how did that happen :(
    14,Mar 2011,Total Debts £9736,Overdraft £1760, CC1 £3514.,CC2 £3147.,Council Tax £342.00, HMRC £433.,Friends £540.:T
    baby steps paid 14% of debt.:j
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So long as the area isn't a main thoroughfare into the house, I'd say go for it now before the ground freezes; as you will be wanting to plant it up in spring.

Also, it's quite nice to have a winter project; somewhere to escape when cabin fever hits over the Christmas holidays.

Parterre - there's posh :)
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi amcluesent, :)

we're planning a parterre or knot garden for herbs, and we will be stating it, on our clay, over winter when other work is done round that side of the house. I accept there will be issues, especially with compaction, and digging over when we emerge the other side of winter will be vital, but its going to work out better for us then waiting, and ground will be suffering anyway from other works.
  • dragonmonkey
    Options
    Set TV up so you can see if from outside and do both LOL :rotfl::rotfl:
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    Options
    >Parterre - there's posh<

LOL. I've also been heard to describe the design as 'Italianate' ;)

NGS by 2012 I reckon...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family