We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

advice please about fence posts

Options
emiff6
emiff6 Posts: 794 Forumite
First Post
I want a new 6ft high fence along the bottom of my small garden. Which is best, concrete posts or wooden ones? I presume concrete posts must be set in concrete - how much space does that take up in the ground? Also, panels or close board? Any advice on any aspect of this will be gratefully received.
TIA.
If I'm over the hill, where was the top?

Comments

• staffiecat
    Options
    Hi, i'm not an expert but we recently fenced our garden and chose to use wooden fence posts - we still had to concrete these in. I think for long term durability you would be better off with concrete as wooden will rot after a while.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can also get metal post holders for wooden posts, saves concreting but reduces the risk of rotting wood. Called metpost if memory serves correctly.
  • The_Economist
    Options
    Concrete every time without a second thought. Had mine done over 10 years ago and they are still standing. Replaced some panels once in this time.
    If i could i would, but i cannot so i wont, but maybe one day i will.
  • alm721
    alm721 Posts: 727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My dad is a fencer, he says if you want the fence to last, concrete posts and close board every time. If you go for wooden posts and panels then expect to replace them before too long.
  • emiff6
    emiff6 Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. You've helped me make up my mind. Tx
    If I'm over the hill, where was the top?
  • hawkwinds
    Options
    We have wooden fence posts and panels, and the fence has been up for 28 years and in almost as good a condition as it was when it first went up. It definitely has a few years more life in it without a shadow of a doubt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure