Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms

It may be tough for 6 years. The survival thread - Page 327

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

It may be tough for 6 years. The survival thread

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in The Money Savers Arms
3.3K replies 292K views
1321322323324325327»

Replies

• cbrown372cbrown372 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) I'm so excited and happy that I'm bouncing around like Zebeedee on steroids, bubbling over with happiness. Far too excited to sleep and as my internet comes back on at 2 am, here I am on Planet MSE. I'll suffer for it later today but I just don't care right now.

:) Had the best ever email from the housing officer; the "other council department" (sure it's arrears but H.O cannot discuss) has served something called a Notice of Proceedings for Possession (NPP) on Idiot Boy and H.O has contributed to it from the point of view of the anti-social behaviour case.

:) H.O says NPP was served last Friday and that Idiot Boy has 14 days to request an oral or written review, which would be done by an officer of that other department, senior to the one who served NPP. Housing think it unlikely a review would go Idiot Boy's way.

:) H.O. describes it as very likely but not a definitive certainty that Idiot Boy will be evicted. He'll keep me updated.

:D It's now 6th night that I.B hasn't slept at his flat, he's not been home very much at all and has been very subdued when he has been here. Perhaps it's finally got through to his thick skull that the Council aren't his Mum and Dad and don't have to put up with his b*llsh*t. At least he's obvoiusly got Plan B as sleeps elsewhere, perhaps a girlfriend or round a mate'

can I ask which housing officer this is that emails tenants giving personal details of the possible eviction of another tenant? Doesn't sound very professional to me and is concerning that local authority personel are behaving in this manner.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
  • edited 15 February 2011 at 4:45PM
    GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 February 2011 at 4:45PM
    cbrown372 wrote: »
    can I ask which housing officer this is that emails tenants giving personal details of the possible eviction of another tenant? Doesn't sound very professional to me and is concerning that local authority personel are behaving in this manner.
    :) Chown372, the H.O is being entirely professional. He is keeping DPA with me and is being very cagey only saying that "another council department" has a stake in this tenancy. I am reading between the lines and it is unlikely to be Parks, Allotments or the Rubbish collection part!. The fact that I am one of the complainants about the ASB perpetrated by the tenant known as Idiot Boy (it has been mentioned to me that there are several other complainants but correctly we do not know who each are). The ASB has case has been running for several months so the complainants have been advised that the severity of the matter MAY lead to the perpetrator being evicted. I regard that as entirely appropriate and I am trained on DPA 1998 as a customer service operative. FYI, I could get into Idiot Boy's rent account and all the H.O.'s files within a few mouseclicks as I am logged onto all the appropriate systems as I type (have just finished my shift and am allowed a limited use of the Net under our staff rules outwith working hours, on my proper breaks). I wouldn't dream of doing it. The H.O. knows I have access and knows that I wouldn't use it and that it could be traced if I did.

Love and peas, GQ

Oh, P.S. if a tenant is evicted there will be an eviction notice taped on the outside of their front door for any passer-by to read. If it signed off by the Arrears Dept, any readers will draw their own conclusions. If I.B. goes, I will know about it that way, and so will anyone else in the block long before Housing send a formal Case Conclusion Letter to the ASB complainants (inc me) which will confirm resolution by reason of the perpetrator no longer living there.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • kidcat wrote: »
    Jedi - have you managed to speak to your consultant about early induction - at least you would then have a date to work to and count the days off as it were?

I'm seeing the hospital tomorrow and I'l ask them about it. Not seeing the consultant until I'm 32 weeks. It's all a real palava as I'm with so many different departments with this pregnancy!
    Jediteacher hun..i know exactly how you feel.. i had that with fern its awful..they gave me a belt to wear around my hips and pull it tight..it worked to a degree but i only had 12 wks to go then..

The hospital will not give me a belt yet as they say it is early days. However, I do have one recommended to me by my chiropractor which does help a little especially when I am working.
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    H.O says NPP was served last Friday and that Idiot Boy has 14 days to request an oral or written review, which would be done by an officer of that other department, senior to the one who served NPP. Housing think it unlikely a review would go Idiot Boy's way.

:) H.O. describes it as very likely but not a definitive certainty that Idiot Boy will be evicted. He'll keep me updated.

I don't want to ruin your joy but we have been in the same situation for well over a year now. We have an awful family living opposite us and they were served their eviction notice in August 2010 but they are still there. All council tenants have the right to contest an eviction notice and it then goes to court. We're still waiting for the court date for this awful family from hell but things are goung very, very slowly. I hope for your sake it goes smoothly and he does leave.
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.' :cool:
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.:j
  • frugalista I don't know where Oh got the recipe from so can not post a link
    Serves 6
    150g short grained rice
    1 tin evaporated milk
    250ml water
    100g sultanas (OH dod 50g sultanad and 50g dried cranberries)
    1/2 teaspoon of salt
    1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon cinammon

Put all ingredients into the slow cooker and mix together. Cook on low for 5hrs or high for 2 or 21/2 hours. Stir once during cooking.

Lambanana goodluck with OH's job hunting

schoolhouse, congrats on the house owning. Let the fun begin

Greyqueen it seems the end of IB is in sight. I've got everyting crossed for you.

Kittie when the site split I carried on posting on here and lurked on the old site and it seemed that it did not keep "on topic" anymore after the split than before it. There was still some good info and discussions on therebut at least on here I could post without worrying about it. Hope your head cold gets better soon.

soft stuff sorry to hear about your job. Keep trying, you never know what is around the corner or very large bend

jediteacher I hope you got on well at the hospital today. How can it be to early to give you a belt when you are in so much pain?

OH has decided it's time to come off the painkillers for his back. He is never a joy to live with when he is comming off tramadol. Might have to pitch the tent ion the garden for him and not let him back in until he is off it :rotfl:. He always feels like he has got a bad dose of womens flu (as opposed to man flu) when he is comming off it. I have pointed out that when women have flu they still have to cook, clean and organise the family.

Have posted a few things on e-bay at the wekend so fingers crossed they sell.

Gaily has not been on for a couple of days. Hope all is Ok.
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order :D.
  • That sounds delicious Mrs VP, thanks for recipe ,:T am very tempted to give it a go. I'd have to buy short grained rice for it though. Wonder if I could do something similar with tapioca?

I think Gailey posted on the other thread in the last day or so .. but it was very short and I miss proper Gailey epic posts! :) Hope you're ok pet. x
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • bluebagbluebag Forumite
    2.5K posts
    de1amo wrote: »
    İ am surrounded by 28th day women--one day i will walk!! the discussion starts out all innocent and ends up my wife slamming into me! she stormed off to work--i feel like not going in and instead going to the solicitors to carry out her hormonal demand for a divorce--i sometimes feel hormonal women blurt out what is really on their mind!?--it will bluster pas but i dont see why us men should cop for it all!! my daughter was hammering me last last too so i have it from both sides!--she denied being nasty to me to my wife and i got told not to make things up!!---roll on the hot flushes and i will have NO sympathy

My DH has three women in his house, two of womanly age and one menopausal.

He claims to be a supreme champion eggshell walker.
  • High street surplus shops seem to have gone the way of all flesh now, but there are loads online, I have spent an entertaining hour or so looking at all the stuff available! (It's certainly changed a lot since my days in the corps 25 years ago when most of our stuff was WW2 vintage or if you were lucky, Korea)

Just ordered RAF parade shoes in 'grade one' used condition (ie, near perfect) for £16.99 plus postage. I'll wait and see what they are like, but they certainly sound better than the average high street cheapo shoe. They also do ladies' formal shoes and court shoes, you won't win any fashion contests but they look smart and hardwearing.

Just a quick update on these - I don't think I've already posted about them but apologies if I have. The shoes are great - they can't have been worn more than once. They are very solid Oxford-type shoes with very sturdy leather uppers, full leather lining with a padded leather insole, and a sort of hard rubber treaded sole which 'rolls' like a walking boot. They are very comfortable even on long walks. I would say the quality is comparable with Church's type shoes which sell for £100+. The only difference being the manmade sole; but it doesn't look much different to a traditional leather sole from above (unless you count the lack of welt stitching, and only a real shoe buff would notice that) and manmade soles last so much longer anyway. I think the shoes must have been subsidised by our taxes in some way!
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support