Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms

It may be tough for 6 years. The survival thread - Page 187

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

It may be tough for 6 years. The survival thread

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in The Money Savers Arms
3.3K replies 292.1K views

Replies

• AA, I used to wear RAF issue socks for walking, they were super warm and comfortable, and not that expensive. Don't know where to buy them now though.

High street surplus shops seem to have gone the way of all flesh now, but there are loads online, I have spent an entertaining hour or so looking at all the stuff available! (It's certainly changed a lot since my days in the corps 25 years ago when most of our stuff was WW2 vintage or if you were lucky, Korea)

Just ordered RAF parade shoes in 'grade one' used condition (ie, near perfect) for £16.99 plus postage. I'll wait and see what they are like, but they certainly sound better than the average high street cheapo shoe. They also do ladies' formal shoes and court shoes, you won't win any fashion contests but they look smart and hardwearing.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • High street surplus shops seem to have gone the way of all flesh now, but there are loads online, I have spent an entertaining hour or so looking at all the stuff available! (It's certainly changed a lot since my days in the corps 25 years ago when most of our stuff was WW2 vintage or if you were lucky, Korea)

Just ordered RAF parade shoes in 'grade one' used condition (ie, near perfect) for £16.99 plus postage. I'll wait and see what they are like, but they certainly sound better than the average high street cheapo shoe. They also do ladies' formal shoes and court shoes, you won't win any fashion contests but they look smart and hardwearing.

could you post which site you used as i cant find the womans shoes on the ones ive looked at, thank you :T
  • well i think i've gone over budget on my grocery shopping, i've only got just over £30 for the rest of the month :( i think i can manage with that left if i'm really careful iwth meal planning!!

we are trying not to use the car too much as the price of petrol is ridiculous(it's £1.26 here) but we are still doing over 8 miles a day - we can cut down on this though quite easily - just need to give DH a kick up the wotsit and get him to walk to work in a morning as this will save us 4 miles a day and when the weather is warmer/dryer then he will walk to work at least 2 days a week so will save us even more!!
    at the minute i am trying to organise my grocery shopping so i only go out once a week for stuff - ok i do have to drive from one end of town to the other to go to the various different shops and on top of the 8 miles a day we do as normal, i'm probably doing another 4-5 on top to get my shopping!!

today i went to farmfoods for the first time EVER and WOW, i was really impressed with it - got 2 loaves of bread for £1.25, 8 pints milk for £1.50, got 3 lots of puff pastry at 79p a pack and some crisps for DD's packed lunch next week for a £,
    wen to aldi and lidl for some other bits and pieces too

i think i am all set for the next week, just need to work out how many meals i can stretch an 800g pack of mince for - i've got loads of onions, garlic,mushrooms, 3 peppers, a courgette, lentils, tinned tomatoes
    i think i'm going to cook all the mince and some of the onions quickly in a pan with a tin of tomatoes and then seperate it into 3-4 portions and cook 2 portions of it in the sc and make that into a bolognaise sauce - half for spag bol and then chilli up the other half and then the other 2 portions i'm going to make into a savoury mince - use half of it for a shepards pie and the other half i'll use to make into savoury mince pasties

does anyone have any other bright idea's that i could do with it??
  • SoftstuffSoftstuff Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    RAS wrote: »

From some of the comments I have seen, I understand that Brisbane thought it was going to be OK until the big rains on Monday, giving them 48 hours to act.

Given the 40 year span between major floods, I think some people just did not understand that their area was at such risk? And by the time they did, there was a limited amount they could do?

If you'll pardon the pun, it really was the perfect storm. A hell of a lot of rain in a lot of areas for a long time. Another day of rain as bad as it was, and our flat would likely have had issues too. No-one I know has ever seen this much rain in this area, I think they said that one of the days rainfall in the Brisbane area was equivalent to a third of Melbournes annual rainfall. The Wyvenhoe Dam was built after the previous floods, and that was supposed to help, which I guess it did, just not enough. Even with a couple of days warning, a lot of people didn't evacuate quickly.... I think the issue was, they were warning of such a huge area to be hit nobody believed it would be everywhere... apart from a few older people who had lived in the same places in the 74 floods. You don't really expect to be flooded 30kms inland uphill (though apparently in floods in one such inland area a bull shark has been spotted swimming down the main street).

This is all my opinion from what I've seen on the news and so forth here. There's going to be a full inquiry into what happened, and no doubt there'll be improvements made with infrastructure and so forth. But trying to prepare for every natural disaster that could happen in Queensland is simply not possible or economically viable, we have flood, drought, cyclone, earthquake, bush fires, golf ball sized hail.... you name it, it exists.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • could you post which site you used as i cant find the womans shoes on the ones ive looked at, thank you :T

I got mine from Beckett's Adventure, the ladies' shoes are here:

http://www.armynnavy.com/catalog/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/273/products_id/2022

The court shoes are on this site but there are others too:

http://www.shoetail.co.uk/mod-comfys-plain-leather-court-shoe-low-heel-black-1781-p.asp

As I say, no prizes for fashion, but I would guess they are hardwearing and comfortable.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • I got mine from Beckett's Adventure, the ladies' shoes are here:

http://www.armynnavy.com/catalog/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/273/products_id/2022

The court shoes are on this site but there are others too:

http://www.shoetail.co.uk/mod-comfys-plain-leather-court-shoe-low-heel-black-1781-p.asp

As I say, no prizes for fashion, but I would guess they are hardwearing and comfortable.

Thank you have ordered a pair of court shoes :D like you say smart and fingers crossed comfortable, have also ordered [FONT=arial,helevetica]Army Training Shoe for £5, and
    [/FONT][FONT=arial,helevetica] Combat Boots for £10 plus wool mix socks from here [/FONT]http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/index.html[FONT=arial,helevetica], and yes i am a woman but i spend a lot of time outside and fed up of cold feet :D[/FONT]
  • weeze210weeze210 Forumite
    131 posts
    Hi all, can I join in please? I read the whole of the last thread and have kept up with this one from the start.
    I work part-time in my local co-op, its just a 2 min walk from my front door. My hubby is a self employed electrician but is ok for work at the mo.
    How does everyone else keep all the family in line money saving wise? I'm always telling hubby and kids to turn off lights, turn down heating, don't turn the shower on till you're actually ready to get in, no you can't have oven chips for your lunch as it costs to much to put the oven on just for one portion of chips, etc. I feel like I'm fighting against them all the time and its a very lonely battle.
    We are ok money wise at the min but hubby really wants to change jobs to something he'll enjoy more and there might be chance of this in the next 12 months but it will mean relocating to wales. This will be less money so I'm trying to prepare now but no-one else seems to understand what I'm trying to do.
    I get lots of reduced stuff at work as I'm the one that does the reductions! I've just done my house and car insurance for the next 12 mths and spent best part of a day on the lap top for each one trying to find the best deal. Hubby couldn't understand why I would put myself through the stress of it all just to save a few quid. He said he would just have stayed with the last company and paid up what they quoted as it was a lot less hassle.
    I have really enjoyed reading this thread and the last one. There are so many good ideas and interesting points here and I hope you all keep posting.

Weeze x
  • Afternoon ladies...firstly my heart and prayers are with all the aussies and the brazilians and all the other countries affected by this weather..i feel deeply for them and admire the way they are matter of fact about it..its happened now we are going to rebuild..you gotta admire that attitude..much respect for them...
    Nualbuala..i know exactly what you mean by ruining a loo brush:mad:..having a teenage son who i'm sure thinks dam buster applies to him personally..he blocks our loo everytime:eek:..last time his poor dad had to don latex gloves,mask,goggles and overall..plus a bucket for him(sensitive tummy:rotfl:) thought we were going to have to ring dyno rod...then i had to wear the gear to go in and clean it up:eek:...so he is banned from the upstairs loo totally...its been much nicer ever since:rotfl:..
    Well as i submitted my meter readings i now have my bills..and its not that bad considering the weather...so i am very pleased and hubby is too...
    Have done an online shop for tinned goods and flour and pasta..£35.01..and i got lots so thats brilliant ...just have to get meat and were done..
    I have been on a great cleaning and clear out binge...my cupboards are sorted and sparkling..my pantry is ready to be filled,my airing cupboard is sorted into separate piles for each bedroom and tied nicely with a coloured ribbon..pink for fern,lilac for iris,green for sam,yellow for me and simon...sorted my bath towels too..kept threadbare ones for the dog when he has had a bath..and made others into cleaning rags and small flannels..made lavender pouches and popped those between the sheets to keep them smelling fresh..also hung a big one from rack to freshen it all up in there..
    Did lots of baking and have frozen some of it..sorted my freezer wish i had worn a coat crikey it was freezing...have enough to survive til next month without buying anymore...
    On a personal note i am not doing to good at the moment..my nephew noah is seriously ill in queens med with flu and pnuemonia..he is very poorly,my brother is beside himself as noah is only 8 months old..could you send a prayer for him please..also i found out today that a friend of mine died and then 8 days later her lovely daughter died...so sad and shocked..the daughter is 2 yrs younger than me and she has 2 little boys...i feel so sorry for the family..not sure what to do tbh..as i hadn't seen them for a while..i will definately send a card and flowers..
    Right i have to go and sort out some woman at school who son thinks it's ok to slap my fern and call her a wh**e:mad::mad:..she is 5..and strike me down if you don't like this but the teacher said"he comes from a different culture and has only just learnt english"..bullsh*t:mad:..if he can say that then his mother will understand when i tell her exactly what i am going to do to her and her son if he ever touches my fern or speaks to her again...if you see a small blonde woman being arrested for gbh on the local news then its me:)...
    tata for now...
    ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..:smileyhea

:jDebt free and loving it.
  • RASRAS Forumite
    28.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right i have to go and sort out some woman at school who son thinks it's ok to slap my fern and call her a wh**e:mad::mad:..she is 5..and strike me down if you don't like this but the teacher said"he comes from a different culture and has only just learnt english"..bullsh*t:mad:..if he can say that then his mother will understand when i tell her exactly what i am going to do to her and her son if he ever touches my fern or speaks to her again...if you see a small blonde woman being arrested for gbh on the local news then its me:)...
    tata for now...
    ftm

His father probably slaps mother and callls her the same name. Not defending him, just pointing out that mum may not be at the root of this.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • mama67mama67 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    well i think i've gone over budget on my grocery shopping, i've only got just over £30 for the rest of the month :( i think i can manage with that left if i'm really careful iwth meal planning!!

we are trying not to use the car too much as the price of petrol is ridiculous(it's £1.26 here) but we are still doing over 8 miles a day - we can cut down on this though quite easily - just need to give DH a kick up the wotsit and get him to walk to work in a morning as this will save us 4 miles a day and when the weather is warmer/dryer then he will walk to work at least 2 days a week so will save us even more!!
    at the minute i am trying to organise my grocery shopping so i only go out once a week for stuff - ok i do have to drive from one end of town to the other to go to the various different shops and on top of the 8 miles a day we do as normal, i'm probably doing another 4-5 on top to get my shopping!!

today i went to farmfoods for the first time EVER and WOW, i was really impressed with it - got 2 loaves of bread for £1.25, 8 pints milk for £1.50, got 3 lots of puff pastry at 79p a pack and some crisps for DD's packed lunch next week for a £,
    wen to aldi and lidl for some other bits and pieces too

i think i am all set for the next week, just need to work out how many meals i can stretch an 800g pack of mince for - i've got loads of onions, garlic,mushrooms, 3 peppers, a courgette, lentils, tinned tomatoes
    i think i'm going to cook all the mince and some of the onions quickly in a pan with a tin of tomatoes and then seperate it into 3-4 portions and cook 2 portions of it in the sc and make that into a bolognaise sauce - half for spag bol and then chilli up the other half and then the other 2 portions i'm going to make into a savoury mince - use half of it for a shepards pie and the other half i'll use to make into savoury mince pasties

does anyone have any other bright idea's that i could do with it??

I do a bolonese sauce in the sc, and then approx 10 mins before serving add in some cooked penne, so making like a pasta bake type meal, dh also likes to add curry stuff to savoury mince, and i add a scone cobble topping to a plain version
    2 adults, 2 boys (:footie: sports mad big eaters) (25 & 21)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support