We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Garlic: softneck or hardneck?

Options
Jei70
Jei70 Posts: 281 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
What's the difference?

I'd never grown any garlic before, but we use a lot, so I'm looking for a reliable variety that also stores well. Any recommendations?
Cogito, ergo sum.

Comments

• cannyClaire
    Options
    I was going to ask the same question!

All I have found out (from a Suttons catalogue) is that hardneck varieties are more hardy. I might try Sicilian Red, a hardneck variety, and Solent Wight, a softneck which is suitable for the UK.

I have also read that garlic grows really well if you start the cloves in individual seed tray cells, then plant out later.
  • DogsBody
    DogsBody Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    Hardnecks are supposed to be the best for storing, but having said that, we are still using a string of Solent Wight bulbs harvested last August (2009), they are fine although some of the smaller cloves are drying out a bit, and this years string is hanging up beside them. Think we went a bit mental with garlic last year! Solent Wight is pretty tough, we grow it every year as our 'main' crop, and try whatever looks good in the catalogues as our 'extra' garlic :D

Soil is pretty wet here over winter, so we start cloves in pots in October and plant them out in Jan/Feb, unless we forget, when we plant them direct in Feb.
  • realfood
    realfood Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    I have just planted about 10 different varieties of garlic in a trial to find out the most suitable varieties for the North of the UK.
    I noted that Sicilian red had rather small cloves.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport