Nuisance automated calls from BT offering me free calls.

in Phones & TV
8 replies 1.3K views
tomsticklandtomstickland Forumite
19.5K Posts
10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭✭
Two nights running I've had answerphone messages left by an automated BT service, telling me to press 1 for free calls. Is there any way I can stop these? Is there a relevant number to call BT on?
Happy chappy

Replies

• are you sure it's from BT?
  • call 0800 121 8000. This will allow you to register for BT Privacy and free caller display. It's an automated service, you'll need a touchtone phone. When the service asks "is it okay for BT To contact you, about products and services", choose NO. This will remove you from BT's marketing list. If you're already registered for Privacy, still follow the above, this will still allow you to register with NO consent.
    The views expressed on this website, be they in text, pictures or sound, are my own personal views. Not those of my employer, its staff or colleagues.
  • tomsticklandtomstickland Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    are you sure it's from BT?
    Good point, it just says you need to be a customer of BT.
    Happy chappy
  • i'd suggest it probably isn't
  • tomsticklandtomstickland Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, just clever bit of wording to place the idea in your mind. Caught me that one did.
    Happy chappy
  • I keep getting calls (12 up till now ) from a recorded message, saying that they are called callsave and you can get free calls if you have a BT line. For one, I do not have a BT line and two, the calls are from abroad. As there is no one to speak to telling them I don't have a BT line, what do you suggest I do, i tried the trick of pressing the hash key repeatedly in the hope that it will b*gger up their system, i got annoyed and shouted down the phone to eff off. I have caller barring which does not allow callers who withhold their numbers to get through, instead they get a message telling them to redial without withholding the number.

There isnt even an option to accept the service, in the hope of speaking to a human to tell em to naff orff!!:mad: :mad: :mad:
    And yes the lady in the avatar is me

Slimming World started 12/5/11 : Starting weight 12st 3lb
    Hoping to get to 9 stone by September 2011

Wk1 -1lb Wk2 -2lb Wk3 +0.5lb Wk4 STS
  • They called back, again automated message telling me to "press 1" which i did and heard the international dialling tone, to which i hung up pretty sharpish.
    And yes the lady in the avatar is me

Slimming World started 12/5/11 : Starting weight 12st 3lb
    Hoping to get to 9 stone by September 2011

Wk1 -1lb Wk2 -2lb Wk3 +0.5lb Wk4 STS
  • They called back, again automated message telling me to "press 1" which i did and heard the international dialling tone, to which i hung up pretty sharpish.

You would have not been charged if you had,as you cant change the cost of a call in mid flight so they would have picked up tab.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides