8 replies 790 views
Hello all

Seeking your advice please....

2 weeks I called telewest to change my phone/tv/bband package to a base
package. All was well until today when i called to cancel my package
to change to sky....

and was told, "you cannot cancel as u are now on a 12 month contract"

My point is, that at no time was i told that i was being enrolled onto a
new contract, otherwise id simply have said no!!!

Can i just cancel my direct debit with no repurcussions, how can i play this
out?

any suggestions are welcome,

thanks in advance.

Replies

• bbb_ukbbb_uk Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    We need more information.

If you have had their services for less than 12months then you are in a minimum term contract for which you were likely informed in a welcome pack with their t&c (it clearly stated in ours years ago we were stuck to a 12month contract).

If you have had their services for more than 12months but changed packages or took advantage of a special offer then sometimes they come at a price of being subject to another 12month minimum term but you should have been informed of this someway or another - most likely verbally (TW more than likely record their phonecalls). If this is the case but you are absolutely certain you weren't informed of such a thing then you could argue that you didn't agree in anyway shape or form to another minimum term nor would you have expected to.

If you only had one service like TV and then got broadband later one then you would be stuck to a 12month contract for each and every service you took out with them. If this is the case then you can cancel any service you've had more than 12months but you will need to keep any service you haven't had for more than 12months.

Like I said more information may give a better idea.
  • Surely, 1. Anthing of that nature would have to be in writing in which you were presented with a copy and 2. You would have so many days in which to cancel that contract. Deny it all, make 'em produce the proof.
  • bbb_ukbbb_uk Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    tom5 wrote:
    Surely, 1. Anthing of that nature would have to be in writing in which you were presented with a copy
    Not always the case. You can agree to anything verbally these days and get stuck in a 12month contract but you do have to be informed beforehand.

I know TW inform you beforehand from personal experience. As I said earlier, if its been less than 12months since you first got their services then you would have been informed in their welcome pack type thing which would say in the small print its a 12month contract.

There is the possibility that it was in the small print in any welcome pack, etc that many people just scan over which if it does state this in any small print (I know ours did) then just because you didn't read it isn't TW's fault.

It does really depend on circumstances.
    2. You would have so many days in which to cancel that contract. Deny it all, make 'em produce the proof.
    You do have this right under the Distance Selling Regs 2000 in which case you have 7 working days - except where:-
    • The contract was concluded over telephone, internet and NOT in person via a shop/store, etc
    • The service hasn't already began but many companies wait at least 7 days after sending you their welcome pack inc their t&c, etc before supplying the service.

In this case having the right to cancel will have passed.
  • Hello and many thanks people

Just called back - went straight thru the touch dial to "disconnect"

NO mention of a contract this time (just someones patter perhaps!)

went thru what i could get with sky and low and behold im now

paying £32 a month for the same package i was paying £60 for previously!

and no hasle of switching!

what a great site this is! im now hooked!

thaks all

Hueknight
  • Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm assuming you also checked if you are now starting another 12 month contract from this point onwards :)
  • sorry to say i forgot but it was never mentioned either - i will in future -
    still learning !

its so easy to carried away - power to the people lol

thanks for the advice tho....

:beer:
  • whey did you haed it telewest SCAM. I mean is it a scam
  • bbb_ukbbb_uk Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    I'm assuming you also checked if you are now starting another 12 month contract from this point onwards :)
    They do state (well they did with me) when they're applying discounts if a new 12month minimum term applies.

Our bb reduced from £17.99 to £10 for 6months (then ring up again) was ok but getting their TVDrive (TW's version of Sky HD but without much HD content) free of their £10 additional monthly charge for first 6months and free installation, I was informed would mean a new 12month contract for their TV service.

But it also pays to double-check with them and also record the date and time and with whom you spoke with incase the discounts aren't applied or not applied as they mentioned.

I did this so when our bill comes and if they aren't applied correctly then I can refer them to the conversation which they record and if that isn't good enough then tell them to forget the 12month contract and we'll go to Sky for which they'll probably agree to honour the original agreement.

This is unlikely to happen but just incase!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides