Bank Charges pushed me into Debit behind my Back

Hi

I moved to Ireland three years ago and left behind an old business account with the humble credit of 23 pounds, gradually accruing about 10p a month in interest. It was long dead even before I left the country. After starting a new life, I forgot about it.

Now I learn they are hassling my parents and say I owe them £150. After picking up the old statement is seems they changed the t&c's some time in 2008 to charge me a fiver a month for the privilege of having an account. That soon pushed me into debit and they continued to rob me. My own fault for not keeping an eye on it.

First question: is it legal to do this?

Secondly: what recourse do I have?

Replies

• zpppzppp Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Hi
    First question: is it legal to do this?

Yes.
    Secondly: what recourse do I have?

You need to speak with them, explain your error and your circumstances, to see if they will reduce the charges. It is doubtful they will remove all of the fees.
    Best Regards

zppp :)

• zppp wrote: »
    Yes.

Disgusting.
  • Disgusting.

but unfortunately it is legal. They changed the terms and Conditions, I assume they wrote to you and informed you of this. herefore they have fulfilled their obligations to give you advance notice of the change - it's not their fault that you did not read their letters.

as Zppp said - call them and explain the situation - they may reduce some of the charges.
    We've spent decades teaching people about their rights, but nothing about their responsibilities.
  • edited 2 September 2010 at 3:02AM
    Alpine_StarAlpine_Star Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 2 September 2010 at 3:02AM
    but unfortunately it is legal. They changed the terms and Conditions, I assume they wrote to you and informed you of this. herefore they have fulfilled their obligations to give you advance notice of the change - it's not their fault that you did not read their letters.

It may be legal but to say ''it's not their fault'' wouldn't be entirely reasonable in my view.

The fact is that banks design contracts in such a way that they can at any stage unilaterally alter the terms that takes someone from credit to debit without the customer truly consenting to the new terms or actually being aware of them. It is a practice that is in need of change.
  • zpppzppp Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    It is a practice that is in need of change.

Probably not the only one ;)
    Best Regards

zppp :)

• The fact is that banks design contracts in such a way that they can at any stage unilaterally alter the terms that takes someone from credit to debit without the customer truly consenting to the new terms or actually being aware of them.

The fact that the customer didn't update the bank of their change of address is the reason that they weren't aware of the change in the terms. That's not the bank's fault.

But OP, I would contact them and explain the situation. You may find that they will make you an offer as a one off good will payment.
    Getting married 02.08.14
    Wins for the wedding: membership for a 'wedsite' and app, £35 gift voucher for party supplies shop, £50 worth of hand painted signs, 1kg of heart shaped marshmallows :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals