NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity
:( Okay so Im with Lloyds TSB
Yesterday I transferred £100 from my esavings to my current account, I go to the shop and pay on my card - Declined

I double checked everything - I rang Lloyds up immediately, explaining what just happened and I had no idea where my £100 had gone. The guy on the phone explained to me that he had no idea but it was a card transaction and a further £600 is due to come out - However as it was a bank holiday, they couldn’t stop my card as that department was closed, now today I’m way over drawn, I walked into the branch and asked them to stop my card and they said they couldn’t as it would just carry over and make no difference, and to wait for more transactions to come out, I asked him if it was possible to reimburse the money once this is sorted and he said it is not 100% guaranteed I will receive it all back, and I might be liable for the bank charges!

Help!
Help me!
:o

Replies

• Premier_2Premier_2 Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Don't know how long it takes to transfer eSavings. Scheque the terms to see if it is supposed to be instant.

However, as regards to stopping the debit card, to suggest they are closed on bank holiday is a nonsense.

The number on the debit card is manned 24 hours a day, 365 days a week to report lost or stolen cards. Of course they can stop them.

Now it's possibly too late. If you've authorised the transactions and they gone through, you will almost certainly be charged.
    If the transactions are proven fraudulent, then you should be ok.

However, is it just a holding amount reserved against the card? Sometimes when you approach companies they reserve an amount but don't actually take it until later (or not at all).
    Car rental companies often do this, but other businesses do sometimes too.

More details required as to what you know about what these possible £600 transactions refers to.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    110K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    However as it was a bank holiday, they couldn’t stop my card as that department was closed

You should complain about that as that is seriously wrong and a basic error that has possibly cost Lloyds money. Its the sort of thing they will want to know.

I had my card used for some fraudulent transactions last year with Lloyds. They were great. I was put through to their fraud dept, they took the details of the fraudulent transactions and cancelled the cards immediately, refunded me within 24 hours and I had new cards two days later.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event

Ask your energy questions by Wed 5pm

MSE Forum