visa chargeback scheme

Hi,
Has anyone any experience with the Halifax and the Visa Chargeback Scheme? I've been affeted by the Sun4U collapse and unfortunately paid with my visa debit card. My flights are safe but the accomodation is another matter. I have booked this again with a credit card but am in the process of claiming my original amount from the Halifax who issued my visa debit card.
Went into my local branch last week and spoke to the branch manager who had no idea about the scheme and kept saying we had to contact the CAA(which i have already done with no joy because my booking was not a package).
I persiveered and in the end she got on the phone and emailed a claim form to somewhere(i presume head office). She was insistant though that we would be claiming from the company not their bank and we would probably not get any money back because they have gone bust. I have read in several websites(including this one) that its the companies bank i will be claiming from.
Can anyone confirm this for me?
I am going into my branch again this week to chase up my claim so all advice welcome.:)

Replies

• Premier_2Premier_2 Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    There appears much confusion, and to an extent ignorance by some bank staff, over the scheme.

With credit cards, section 75 makes the credit card company jointly and severally liable, so reclaiming is easy - the credit card company itself has to cough up.

With debit cards, its a chargeback system.

Chargeback - meaning someone else has to pay up first before you get your money.

Your claim is with the debit card compamy, but if they don't get any money back, neither do you.

Normally, where a company doesn't deliver goods or services, they would end up getting the 'charged back' the amount originally taken. In this case the company has gone bust (as I understand) so the chances of them refunding is probably nil.

The MSE article on refunding suggests their bank may cough up ... but it's not 100% guaranteed.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases#debitcard

As I said, your claim is against the debit card company/your bank. But if they don't get any money back, nor do you. And you can't pursue them if they don't get your money back.

More details on the Visa chargeback scheme from the BBC here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/7347146.stm
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • I have had the same run around, it took several trips to the bank also call to ABTA etc etc who kept telling me to contact my bank.
    I had paid just for my accomodation with sun4u for the 30th Aug 2010; Then I had to pay again with another company Hotels.com.

I managed to fill in a form via telephone with Halifax explaining I had to book and pay again for the same appartment as my holiday was in a weeks time.

I received a letter on return from holiday stating that I needed all kinds of confirmation from the Hotel and Sun4u that my holiday wasnt paid for in the first instance OR both my receipts.
    One for the room with Sun4u and the other with Hotel.com.

I have sent the receipts from both companies, I have just received an email stating that I have to still send confirmation from the Hotel or Sun4uthat the Holiday was not honoured.

I have tried calling the Hotel ( which I knew wouldnt be any good ) as they could'nt speak much English while we were there and all they keep saying is ABTA, ABTA.

I cannot contact Sun4u or the number given for the agent, what else can i do.

The amount is only £130 but I had to pay £155 the second time around.

Thanks Denise
  • Premier_2Premier_2 Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker

I cannot contact Sun4u or the number given for the agent, what else can i do....

Probably not a lot, I'm afraid.

Most bookings were not covered by Abta, so unless Abta told you otherwise when you contacted them, your booking probably wasn't.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-10959810

If you didn't pay the booking by credit card, then that route is also a non-starter.

See my comments above about the visa chargeback scheme.

I fear you will have to put this one down to experience, I'm afraid.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Success -Full refund now obtained from visa chargeback scheme!HOORAY!

Like you we had to provide proof of non payment by Sun4U to the hotel. Luckily i had emailed them asking if booking was confirmed and kept the reply. This was enough for the visa debit team to go ahead with our claim, which i may add did come from Sun4U's bank not the funds left after going bust.
    Have you emailed the hotel and asked them to email proof for you? Surely they must have a member of staff that can translate? Bombard them with lots of them, they are bound to receive at least one!!It may take a few days for a reply but its a chance.
    You must do it asap though as the claim team stated to us that we only had 60 days from the claim date to return all documentation needed.
    Good luck, let us know how you get on,:j
  • Hi
    I am in the same position,I booked with sun4u with my visa debit card Royal bank of Scotland.I phoned the Visa chargebacks and disputes dept through the RBS,they sent me a form which I filled in and sent back.I have now been credited with the cashback to my account for my hotel and transfers but not my flights even though sun4u led me to believe I was buying a package deal Visa said my flights were still valid so would not refund me for the flights
    good luck Derek
  • This thread might shed at least some light on your rights http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?t=23465
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals