laptop in belfast

Hello

I need to get a laptop, ideally today in Belfast.
it is for a 65 year old lady who is only going to use it for internet searches Googling etc and possibly sending an email or two (this is not that likely though) and possibly internet shopping

Can anyone advise what spec etc I should get?
Still need to get the internet connection also sorted in her home, probably go with Plusnet here though

Comments

• caz2703
    caz2703 Posts: 3,630 Forumite
    For that kind of usage you don't need a very high spec. Tesco were selling Netbooks but they may be too small for someone of that age to use. They were also selling HP and Acer laptops both under £400 IIRC. The hubby said the Acer was the best one if that helps but outside of that I haven't kept up with computers much in the last year so apart from the usual Curry's or Dixons I can't help I'm afraid.
  • x12yhp
    x12yhp Posts: 801 Forumite
    To be honest you should buy the biggest screen size for the cheapest money. Nothing else will matter in this particular instance. As caz says, Currys, Dixons, Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda... check them all out and see who has cheap and cheerful.
    Always overestimating...
  • thanks for your replies
    caz were the laptops in a store if so which one
  • caz2703
    caz2703 Posts: 3,630 Forumite
    Saw them last week in Tesco Bloomfields in Bangor. I'm sure any decent sized Tesco would stock them though or you could try phoning a particular store that is handy to you to find out and save a trip.

If you go into Currys or similar don't get talked into buying a mobile to get the laptop cheaper nor should you be talked into getting anything more than the most basis spec of laptop albeit with a large screen. Acer tend to be cheap and cheerful from memory but not that expensive but this could have changed.
  • x12yhp
    x12yhp Posts: 801 Forumite
    There was some report of a machine at Asda for £275. It was a celeron based machine which is low spec but the important thing would be the 15.6 inch screen
    Always overestimating...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport