Seller trying it on with me... don't know how to deal with!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
8 replies 1.3K views
jopwo_87jopwo_87 Forumite
327 Posts
I bought an item on the 20th August which was paid for on the morning of the 21st (last Saturday). It didn't come last week and as it only said 'sellers standard rate' as a method of posting rather than 1st or 2nd I thought I would email the seller to check.I wrote...

"Hi there

I was just looking for an estimated delivery date
for my top. I know I only won it a week ago but
I'm very excited to get it!

If you could let me know when you sent it and via
what method I will know when to expect it.

Thanks so much"

Yesterday I got this email back and now I'm slightly at a loss what to say!

"Hi
I am really surprised that you have not received this as I posted it on 24th August.
If you have not received it by next Wednesday let me know. It was sent by standard post, but I do have a receipt proof of posting, which I can supply to you if it does not turn up by wednesday.
Once it goes into the hands of Royal Mail it could end up anywhere - don't trust them.
Keep me posted
Regard"

What would you respond to that?
Thinking it over...:o

Replies

• edited 31 August 2010 at 9:32AM
    Scarlett.1974Scarlett.1974 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    edited 31 August 2010 at 9:32AM
    The seller is clearly trying to pass the buck to you if it doesn't arrive. Take no notice of that at ALL. It is her/his responsibility to chase up RM, not yours. Personally, I would probably give it to the end of this week and if it hasn't arrived then I would open an 'item not received' through Paypal and you will get your money back that way. Hopefully though it will turn up in the next day or 2 :)

eta - if you're looking for what to reply to the seller I would go with something like:

Hi,
    Thank you for your response, much appreciated. I will give it another few days then as you suggested, hopefully it will arrive soon. If it doesn't though, I would hope you would issue me with a full refund and then chase up Royal Mail yourself (as this is your responsibility, not mine, as I'm sure you are aware).
    Kind regards,
    jopwpo.

I wouldn't mention the Paypal dispute yet though, in case it gets their back up! Hopefully they are just trying to be a bit cheeky and will issue you your refund if it doesn't turn up.
    You can't control everything in life....... your hair was put on your head to remind you of that :p

Proud to be BSC no. 103
  • i wouldnt think they were trying it on ?? what makes you so worried ?

I would wait a few days longer, I have had post take a week when posted 2nd class which i imagine thats what they've used.
    Bow Ties ARE cool :cool:

"Just because you are offended, doesnt mean you are right" Ricky Gervais :D
  • i wouldnt think they were trying it on ?? what makes you so worried ?

I would wait a few days longer, I have had post take a week when posted 2nd class which i imagine thats what they've used.

I would think the OP is referring to the comment in the seller's reply about her chasing up Royal Mail (thus trying to absolve her/himself of the responsibility). It's not up the buyer to chase up RM, it's up the seller to ensure delivery is made :)
    You can't control everything in life....... your hair was put on your head to remind you of that :p

Proud to be BSC no. 103
  • cyberbobcyberbob Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    I would think the OP is referring to the comment in the seller's reply about her chasing up Royal Mail (thus trying to absolve her/himself of the responsibility). It's not up the buyer to chase up RM, it's up the seller to ensure delivery is made :)

It's worth the OP giving her sorting office a ring I'd wait until Friday then contact the seller again. If the reply isn't helpful or no refund offered then open a dispute. (paypal not ebay as they are quicker)
  • adecoradecor Forumite
    269 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I've had this problem with something that I sent to someone and the postie had forgotten to put a card through the door to say that it was waiting at the sorting office for collection. I'd contact them soonish as they don't hold on to them for too long before they return to sender. Hope it's waiting for you!
  • jopwo_87jopwo_87 Forumite
    327 Posts
    Thanks everyone. I will wait until Wednesday and then email the seller again if it hasn't arrived. Will let you know what happens!
  • Quick update. The item never arrived and when I informed her of this she told me she would refund me but only after she had claimed from royal mail. I started the claim in Paypal and she refunded me within an hour. Not sure what feedback to leave, if any. Hey ho.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    jopwo_87 wrote: »
    Quick update. The item never arrived and when I informed her of this she told me she would refund me but only after she had claimed from royal mail. I started the claim in Paypal and she refunded me within an hour. Not sure what feedback to leave, if any. Hey ho.

As she tried the old 'you need to wait for me to claim from RM' line I would not be looking at a positive here. Possibly a neutral, but don't mention any dispute as she can get the feedback removed. Perhaps something like "item lost but did receive reluctant refund'.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals