NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

Is It Possible to Re-claim After Bank Rejected Claim

I sent a letter to Barclays requesting refund of the approx. £2300 bank charges I'd received. Within a few months I received a letter saying that my complaint was not going to be upheld and that if I didnt contact them within 8 weeks they would close the file. This was December 2009 and I did not take it any further as I suppose I assumed going to the Financial Ombudsman wouldn't maybe be able to help.

However, I wonder if its possible to re-claim and stick with the complaint this time?

Has anyone done this?

Many thanks.

K

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    110K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This was December 2009 and I did not take it any further as I suppose I assumed going to the Financial Ombudsman wouldn't maybe be able to help.

Correct assumption. The FOS is automatically refusing bank charge complaints unless its incorrect application or hardship.
    However, I wonder if its possible to re-claim and stick with the complaint this time?

what would be your reason for complaint that is likely to succeed where others have failed?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • As this site says, people shouldn't automatically be put off by taking it further if someone's bank refuses to refund. This site says that's exactly the type of letter banks/building societies hope to put people off with. My reason for complaint is still the same as previously, I was put off with the letter I received but am still in the financial hardship I was last year.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    110K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As this site says, people shouldn't automatically be put off by taking it further if someone's bank refuses to refund.

Are you reading the latest information? Where are you going to take it further to?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals