Am I entitled to free training through the job centre?

I'm taking voluntary redundancy at the end of this month and have been told that I can claim Job Seeker's allowance. I've never claimed any sort of benefits before and have no idea how it all works. I went to my local job centre this morning and explained my situation and all they did was give me a phone number to ring on my first day of unemployment to make an appointment to come in! Does anyone know if the job centre offer any sort of free training so I may be able to add new skills to my CV?

Comments

• GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you volunteer for redundancy then they can sanction your jobseekers allowance for up to 6 months
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    If you volunteer for redundancy then they can sanction your jobseekers allowance for up to 6 months

That is not correct. VR is not a reason for a sanction.

OP, what type of training are you thinking of? Will you be claiming IB JSA or CB JSA?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • first78
    first78 Posts: 1,044
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've been on the DirecGov website and know I can claim job seeker's despite taking voluntary redundancy.
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,355
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    You'll be able to discuss this with the Job Centre Advisor - which is why you've been given an appointment, they can't just drop everything and see people 'on spec'. My first interview lasted about 40 minutes.

You can ask then about free job search training. Most likely they will line you up with and A4e course but where I live there is simply LOADS of free training to prepare you for successful job hunting, CV's, application forms, interview skills.

The initial interview is the best time to ask and they'll be more than happy to help, after all, they want you to help yourself to get a job not live off the state!
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,975
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I haven't worked in this field for some time now but the courses which were training in skills other than jobsearch ones, seemed to be forklift truck operation, driving and MSCE. Unless you had a disability, they were not available until you had a six-month claiming history.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure