🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

My Excellent Credit Rating reduced by Partner's poor rating

Options
I hope someone can be of assistance,

I have and always have had an excellent credit rating, however having bought a home and got a joint bank account with my partner just prior to the down turn, we were unable to continue payments on her loans.

She now has 2 loans on which she has defaulted and has a Poor credit rating. We are currently attempting to rectify this now.

I know that as we are connected, any credit I attempt to obtain (despite still having an excellent rating) will be affected by her bad rating (as proven by recently being rejeceted for my first credit card). What I am wondering is by how much is rating affected.

Are the ratings combined eg Excellent + poor = good, or are we as connected persons both seen as poor.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Both seen as poor IMO - you already have proof of this with your credit card application decline.
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Options
    Have been there. What you will find is the person with the poor rating will be able to get deals (the linked good rating will give it a boost) but the good rating is dragged way down. You will find some lenders who will just check you out and not put much weight on financial associate links.
  • Curt.
    Curt. Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    Given you have joint account(s) together you can't even disassociate with one another. (Unless you close all that off first).
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi - you said declined for your first credit card - if you didn't have a credit card before, maybe you were seen as too much of a risk combined with your partner's unfortunate situation?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport