DLA & Attendance Allowance???

Hi guys l'm a little confused, am helping my grandparents out with their benefits (72 and 74) and my grandad is disabled. He already has the highest level of DLA (care and mobility) but l've heard about attendance allowance.

To cut it short:

Can you claim both DLA & Attendance Allowance???

Comments

• anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,817
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    no you can't if already in recepit of dla care component. aa is basically the same as dla care part but only available to those 65 or over.
  • lavidaloca
    lavidaloca Posts: 558
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    anmarj wrote: »
    no you can't if already in recepit of dla care component. aa is basically the same as dla care part but only available to those 65 or over.

I don't think that is correct.

Have a look here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DG_10012425
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,817
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    lavidaloca wrote: »

it is right, AA is about your care needs, so is the DLA care side of things, so if he is already in recepit of DLA care he cannot claim AA
  • anmarj wrote: »
    it is right, AA is about your care needs, so is the DLA care side of things, so if he is already in recepit of DLA care he cannot claim AA

That's what l thought, but it doesn't make it clear, why they just can't write a sentence on the site saying
    "If you get DLA you can't get AA" but l guess that would be too straightforward... lol :rotfl:
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Are you thinking of Carer's Allowance? This can be claimed by someone caring for a person in receipt of DLA or AA if they are doing so for 35 hours a week, and meet other criteria e.g. how much they earn by working.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    That's what l thought, but it doesn't make it clear, why they just can't write a sentence on the site saying
    "If you get DLA you can't get AA" but l guess that would be too straightforward... lol :rotfl:

It says "If you are under age 65, you may be able to get Disability Living Allowance." which seems pretty clear to me.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    When this discussed a while ago, I thought the conclusion was that there are some cases where an over-65 is getting the mobility part of DLA but no care component and so can claim AA for their care needs. Obviously that wouldn't apply in this case.
  • If you have claimed DLA before you 65th birthday you will continue to get the award [if you are still eligible] after your 65.

AA is for those who make their first claim and they are aged 65 and over.

DLA is both personal care and mobility components and are at three rates: low, mediuim and high.You can be awarded a combination of any ofthe rates of the 2 components.

it would appear that when you are over 65 the government don't think you need to be mobile so the award is only for personal care needs and is at 2 rates low and high.

I know it is not a monetary award but having the high rate of DLA Mobility means that they can apply for the Blue Badge Scheme and also access to the Motability Scheme where they can name a Designated Driver
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure