Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

BT Offer to Upgrade Unlimited Weekend Calls Plan

in Phones & TV
4 replies 1.2K views
I received a call from BT inviting me to extend my Unlimited Weekend Calls Plan to include unlimited weekday evening calls (after 7pm) - provided I agreed to a 12-month contract. When I asked to see the details in writing I was told that this wasn't possible as the offer was only being made by phone and that it wasn't even described on the BT website. I'm very wary about signing a contract without seeing the details in writing, let alone the small print. On the face of it, the offer appears attractive, but where's the catch and is BT being honest when they claim there's nothing in writing?

Replies

• iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This isnt a new offer, its been around for ages you get evening and weekend calls for the same price as the weekend plan ( a saving of £2.99/month) but you commit to a rolling 12 month contract....its fine as it goes but you have to remember that in around 12 months if you dont want to renew, to call them and let them know otherwise it will auto renew for another 12 month period....the main problem seems to be that BT say they will contact you when the 12 months are about to expire ( so you can decide to renew or not ) but in my case and lots of other posters experience, the letter never gets sent, so people dont know they have been auto renewed
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    It's the 'renewable' offer (it auto-renews after 12 months if you don't reply to a letter they are supposed to send you after about 11 months).

Unfortunately, some of those letters mysteriously get lost in the post.

It's only £2.99/month (10p/day) extra anyway (without any tie-in).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Scriptor wrote: »

On the face of it, the offer appears attractive, but where's the catch and is BT being honest when they claim there's nothing in writing?

No catch. As for dishonesty, I doubt it. You're dealing with BT CS. Do you really expect them to be familiar with

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentFooterPopup.jsp?pagecontentfooter_popupid=24641

and

http://www.bt.com/pricing/current/Cust_Opts_Res_boo/FrameworkImpl187865.htm#FrameworkImpl187865

My letter about renewing the contract arrived two weeks prior to the due date.
  • Many thanks for these replies which have dispelled my concerns. But wouldn't it have been more sensible for BT to have referred me to the links in Brian's message instead of stating that nothing was available in writing!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals