Advice with bank account please

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Bankruptcy & Living With It
2 replies 598 views
Cissie1Cissie1 Forumite
73 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Bankruptcy & Living With It
Hi, So hubby and i have taken the plunge and stopped paying our IVA, Secured Loan and Mortgage to save the funds to move out into rented accomodation and for bankruptcy fees. Once we have this we will ring for a date in court to go along and hopefully be made bankrupt (scary but in some way will be a relief).
What I was wondering is should we open a new bank account with the co-op before or after bankruptcy? As i understand it all accounts will be frozen and I will of course need access to our wages to pay bills etc and live (we have two children also and they always need something!) so I dont want to open a new account and arrange for our wages to into it if it will be frozen also.
Any advice please.
Thanks
Cissie

Replies

• IFIF Forumite
    34.4K Posts
    Hi Cissie, I would open your coop cashminder account now unless you live in Brighton for some reason the OR keeps the accounts there frozen x
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
  • fiveyearplanfiveyearplan Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Cissie - I would open your Coop account now and have all the direct debits you want to keep moved to that account. I opened my Coop account 5 months before my BR and didn't have any problems. As Wishes says above, if you live in the Brighton area the ORs there tend to want all pre-BR accounts closed.

:j :j

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals