Change of circumstances 1 year later - advice needed please

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Bankruptcy & Living With It
3 replies 680 views
AcmiAcmi Forumite
12 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Bankruptcy & Living With It
I was discharged from bankruptcy in January 2009 and continued to pay the agreed (IPA) monthly payments to the collecting agency. However in July 2009 I lost my job. I wrote to the collecting agents immediately to inform them of this and was asked to send proof that I was out of work. I sent all the necessary info i.e. P45, proof of claim for JSA etc - 1 year later and finally I am now back on track and able to afford to start re-paying, but, since I wrote to them a year ago I have heard nothing from them. Have they forgotten about me? Has my records been mislaid? should I be volunteering to them that I can now afford the re-payments again or do I say nothing? Is it unusual that they have not been in contact with me at all within the last 12 months to ask if my circumstances were still the same?

Does anyone have any advice/experience of this?

Thanks

Replies

• debtinfodebtinfo Forumite
    7K Posts
    You have a legal obligation to infor them, so they just wait until you inform them which you need to do now
    Hi, im Debtinfo, i am an ex insolvency examiner and over the years have personally dealt with thousands of bankruptcy cases.
    Please note that any views i put forth are not those of my former employer The Insolvency Service and do not constitute professional advice, you should always seek professional advice before entering insolvency proceedings.
  • AcmiAcmi Forumite
    12 Posts
    Would the monthly re-payments have been frozen since I informed them and simply carry on from my last payment? My re-pmts were due to finish around March 2011, does this mean they will now finish April 2012 because I could not make the re-pmts between July 2009 & July 2010? (13 months).
  • debtinfodebtinfo Forumite
    7K Posts
    no the zero payments count each month so it still finishes after the original 3 years
    Hi, im Debtinfo, i am an ex insolvency examiner and over the years have personally dealt with thousands of bankruptcy cases.
    Please note that any views i put forth are not those of my former employer The Insolvency Service and do not constitute professional advice, you should always seek professional advice before entering insolvency proceedings.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals