edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Boost Your Income
22 replies 2.3K views
magic57magic57 Forumite
728 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Boost Your Income
Hi all

I know there is an excellent Avon hints and tips thread for Avon reps but this is really me just asking advive before I take the plunge.

I work part time but the recession has hit our family really hard and I am looking to make a bit of extra money.

My question is: Is Avon really worth all the work for what you get in return once you have paid tax. The idea of filling in a tax form is scary. :o

Any experiences anyone would be prepared to share? Good and bad. I can't afford to lose any money.

Thanks. x

Replies

• In fact, I don't really like Avon, it's not so good for my skin and it's not good as the company says. If you really want it, I just suggest that you had better not put so much into it. I don't think it's popular!
    I AM VERY GLAD TO COME HERE!!:beer:
  • Hi there, with reference to your question definately not both me and my daughter have done this and we always ending up owing Avon, never having an actual profit out of it I just wouldnt waste:( my time.
  • Sugarhunny1Sugarhunny1 Forumite
    879 Posts
    Hi Magic,

You obviously know about the Hints and Tips thread and I would urge you to pop across and ask the same question. You are self employed and will hopefully gain as much as you put into it.

I don't put that much effort in and make approx £35 every 3 weeks (unless I buy something for myself)

Pop across, everyone is very friendly!

Sugar xxx
    "The journey of 1000 miles commenced with a single step"
  • magic57magic57 Forumite
    728 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi Magic,

You obviously know about the Hints and Tips thread and I would urge you to pop across and ask the same question. You are self employed and will hopefully gain as much as you put into it.

I don't put that much effort in and make approx £35 every 3 weeks (unless I buy something for myself)

Pop across, everyone is very friendly!

Sugar xxx

Thanks, I know everyone there is helpful and friendly as I have read through and posted once. I just didn't want to clutter their thread up!
  • lozza1985lozza1985 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Clutter away lol! I make at least £100 every weeks from selling Avon, usually more. Plus it means I can get my stuff cheaper, if not free in a lot of cases.

Some companies work for some people, and not for others. I tried kleeneze and lost money, while others do well at it, and Avon didn't go well for some people but it works for me. Whatever company you go for - it will take time and effort in the beginning to get a good customer base, but once the first few months are done you'll be much quicker at knowing how to do things so it won't take long at all.
    Avon Lady since 2009 - I help on the Avon hints & tips thread to help other reps/new sales leaders as I was helped so much by it when I first started out :A
  • magic57magic57 Forumite
    728 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks very much for all your opinions.

I had a go at Usbourne books years ago but that didn't work out as I don't think I was pushy enough to get into playgroups etc.
    I am tempted to give Avon a go but am quite shy by nature. I think I could sell some to family and friends though. Maybe though .... still thinking....
  • I was unsure, like yourself. I read in order to make any money at all you had to get orders of £78+ and thought this would be impossible. I have just finished my first campaign and got total orders of £172 and made £34.40.
    Maybe ask around how many people would be interested in ordering before you take the plunge? I would go for it :)
  • Fiver29Fiver29 Forumite
    18.6K Posts
    I would have to say it's definitely not worth it. It ended up costing me a lot of money, because the management structure is crap, the sales leaders and sales managers don't know what they're doing. If you phone Avon they can't help because it's a call centre in India or somewhere and they don't understand what you're saying.

It's the worst company I've ever dealt with.
    Moving onto a better place...Ciao :wave:
  • edited 28 July 2010 at 4:59PM
    joyfulljoyfull Forumite
    861 Posts
    edited 28 July 2010 at 4:59PM
    I've been doing it 6.5 years & earn about £25-30 per week for on average 3-4 hrs work per week (I've really honed my work-time down - it'll probably take longer to begin with). I'm not at all pushy but over time by offering a totally reliable and friendly service have established a good customer base. The products sell themselves & with a no quibble refund policy I'm confident in the service Avon offer and the quality of most of their goods. If I think something is not good value then I'm honest about it.

Don't expect a lot of support once you've been signed up though (you may be lucky & get some - I didn't)

The Avon hints & tips thread gives loads of support & advice to make the most of your business.

Be prepared to be out in all weathers. It's a discipline. Put something in, persevere, and I'd recommend giving it a go.

Good luck.

edit - you'll end up with loads of stuff for yourself if you play your cards right _see Avon thread (creative ordering)
    "Sometimes letting things go is an act of far greater power than defending or hanging on.”
  • dipamjdipamj Forumite
    12 Posts
    Have you thought about Kleeneze? We have been doing it for around 8 years and earn over £1000 every 4 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides