upset child desperate for cat

hi

Anyone any ideas on how to get a kitten , we have been trying for ages and keep missing them, also the cat rescues have a waiting list . We have been saying to our 7 y old that he can get one for ages and assumed it would just be a matter of going and picking our one out of the hundreds available.
have tried ad trader bur they seem to go instantly

any other mags that i can try

Replies

• chattachatta Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got mine from my local pet-shop, it was in the spring-time. Keep looking in your local paper. I was told though that ordinary mogs were like any other animal and bred more in the spring-time, my pet shop said it was much harder getting kittens later in the year. He gave me my two cheap on the promise I would let the girl cat have kittens which I gave to him if I couldn't rehome them myself.
  • Yes try a local pet shop or gum tree(google it if you dont know the site :D) they seem to have a few animals on there. good luck
    Abbey Loan £6,000
    Tesco loan £3,000
    Tesco points --- £100 worth £400 in deals for holiday! :j :T
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." (Charles Darwin)
  • jfdijfdi Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    http://thesun.uk.oodle.co.uk/sale/pet/cat/

Try this place - it was recommended to me when we were in the same position.

Looks quite good.

Hate to say it - yeah, I'm a media snob! ;) - but it's the local ads for The Sun newspaper!!!

A
    xx
    :mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T
  • ailuro2ailuro2 Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aw, sorry to hear that.
    We have just adopted a 4 month old kitten that started hanging around our house- at first DH said no, as we broke our hearts when our previous cat died 2 yrs ago (he was 15,so a good age)
    Our 7 yo is thrilled, it's a great age, she's very gentle, but does have to be reminded that the kitten doesn't want to be carried everywhere.

Does it have to be a kitten? An older cat-perhaps 2 or 3 yo will be more settled and you can gauge its temperament much better- some cats are not best suited to kids, my mil has one, I'd not let my dd near it, nasty piece of work that it is.

Good luck
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • hi
    thanks for all the replys, tried gum tree but only seem to be down south , were in Scotland. tried the pet stores but they have either had them in and away or get them sporadically.

Need a kitten as we have a dog and were advised not to get a cat but go for kitten as the dog is not used to another animal in its house, the kitten would dominate her anyway as do the local cats.
  • ben500ben500
    23.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cheepskate wrote:
    hi

Anyone any ideas on how to get a kitten , we have been trying for ages and keep missing them, also the cat rescues have a waiting list . We have been saying to our 7 y old that he can get one for ages and assumed it would just be a matter of going and picking our one out of the hundreds available.
    have tried ad trader bur they seem to go instantly

any other mags that i can try
    I'm sure if you went for an older cat the rescue homes would be able to provide one immediately, I would always go down this route and have done in the past, I always pick the mankiest looking beast I can the one that looks like it is destined to be left behind, the children will respond well to this as you can explain that without them this cat probably wouldn't have been rehomed due to it's unappealing appearance and they have truly rescued it.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • wigginsmumwigginsmum Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always take the scraggy older ones too (my mother runs an animal rescue centre); I loathe the commercial kitten trade, and would prefer to give a home to an older one with less 'sex appeal.'
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • ailuro2ailuro2 Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.cats.org.uk/
    Kitten season is at its height! Unseasonably cold weather in early spring delayed the cat-breeding season and now CP is seeing an even higher number of kittens coming into its care during the already busy summer months.

Our volunteers and staff are working flat-out to cope with the demand but there is only so much that they can do on stretched resources. That’s why we desperately need your donations so that we can help even more kittens than the 18,000 we helped last year.

from that site, maybe you will get lucky after all?

http://www.cats.org.uk/contact/findcp_stage2.asp?region=7 helps you find your nearest cats protection centre.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • My cat was from my local rescue centre and it was in the spring.
    Well c'mon is it coz im kool? Im not btw I rawk :cool:
  • Miss_CinnabonMiss_Cinnabon Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are not often many kittens at cat protection league, we got ours from there he was 16 weeks old, how long is the waiting list and what area are u from?

Also try the sspca, they might have kittens, but mainly older cats they get, local ads, papers, scot-ads is good, also try freecycle, i have joined the aberdeen group and there has been a few people posting advertising kittens.

Ask your local vets, look for cards in your local supermarket etc

Kyle
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide