3% transfer fee shown as a purchase

Options
When I choose to buy something I accept that I am making a purchase.
However I've recently tarted my card to a new natwest 15 month % balance xfer. Thought it was a good call and knew the % transfer fee would have to be paid.

So when I got my statement showing that the transfer fee is being credited as a purchase I was a bit taken a back. even more so when I consider that after 3 months they will start charging me interest on it.

This is the first time this has ever happened to me and I was wondering if it was the norm.

I'll be checking ith the credit card company in the morning but was wondering what other experiences people have had.

Surely the transfer fee can't really be classed as a purchase, can it??? :mad:

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The allocation of payments (fees first) means interest will be minimal (3% fee/2.25% minimum payment. Just pay a little extra (say 1%) first month.

Edited to add: There's 3 months 0% on purchases so no interest at all. Panic over?
  • firsttimestudent
    Options
    Looks like I'm reviving this old thread!

YorkshireBoy, but what happens after 3 months? The BT is for 15 months 0% as you know.

I recall a few years ago, there was a thread here which says you can pay a bit more for the 1st month to stop the interest on the fees. Can you still do that this time?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure