We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Credit Card Help For Work

Options

Comments

• Curt.
    Curt. Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    Or go a completely different route and ask for the company to provide transportation? (Long shot i guess)
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Or go a completely different route and ask for the company to provide transportation? (Long shot i guess)
    That's not really a practical or helpful suggestion in a recession.
    If you get a train or taxi or hire car they will still expect you to pay an claim it back.
    Also many people using their own cars get paid 40p per mile and with a modest car you can make a profit, so some people quite like this.

Your choices are

1) Do what everyone else does and get a credit card and stop being silly. Even make yourself some cashback.
    2) Make a big song and a dance about it and propel yourself to the top of the "next to be made redundant" list.

As far as financial plannign goes people need to have an emergency fund for unepected events e.g. roof, car, boiler, lose job etc.
    This should last you 3-6 months whilst you look for work. In a recession you probably need 6 months salary.
    All this bleating about running out of money is ridiculous.
    You need to plan financially and have some back up savings if you are working.
    If you are straight out of uni then sure you won't have it straight away, but this should be your firt priority, so within a few months of working you should have emergency money.
    No exceuse for people who have been working a few years.

I find it really hard to believe that people have a car crash , have been wroking a few years and then have no money to pay an excess.
    The unexpected is NOT completely unexpected.
    You should prepare for it.

If you don't want to bank roll your employer then refuse and see where it gets you.
  • xyellowx
    xyellowx Posts: 570 Forumite
    Options
    any employee could provide a works credit card or fuelcard all it would take is a phone call and credit check if they cant get a fuel account it means there finances are not up to much so alarm bells would be ringing as to paying it yourself and claiming it back

lisyloo- your right dont rock the boat in a recession but dont forget in the same recession 200 companys a day are going out of business and i bet you the people who lost their jobs couldnt see it coming either
  • lisyloo
    edited 18 July 2010 at 10:18AM
    Options
    any employee could provide a works credit card or fuelcard all it would take is a phone call and credit check if they cant get a fuel account it means there finances are not up to much so alarm bells would be ringing as to paying it yourself and claiming it back
    Do you mean employee or employer?
    Not sure how fuel cards work but with credit cards my employer had to employ a person to reconcile the credit card statement with employee expense claims.
    They asked the employees whether anyone had any ideas how to pay for this.
    Ultimately that boils down to "does one of you want to give up your job so we can pay for this extra person"
    Unsuprisingly no-one volunteered.

So I don't think it's as easy as you think for employers to operate company credit cards. The statements go to the company and they are liable and they have to employ someone to sort it all out which costs money. So unless you are offering up someone else's job or a pay cut to pay for it, then it doesn't work.
    your right dont rock the boat in a recession but dont forget in the same recession 200 companys a day are going out of business and i bet you the people who lost their jobs couldnt see it coming either
    Not sure what point you are making here.
    I am all for people taking positive solutions to their employer.
    What I'm saying is that simply refusing or stamping your feet is stupid.
    You need to look at their concerns for example as I have expained abover.

If you have serious concerns about bank rolling your employer then really you should be spending your time looking for another job or studying to increase your chances, not getting a credit card which is akin to re-arranging the deck chairs on the titanic.
    I agree with you that people can't always see it coming. It's happened to me and I had no idea, that's how I got caught out.
    That's why I arranged a cash advance with my employer.
    Cards are difficult for them to operate but we were both happy with a 0% loan.

So I'm not saying jsut put up with it but I am saying that you need to be sensible in how you approach the matter.

How do I know?
    Cos I've screwed it up before of course.
  • TFD_2
    TFD_2 Posts: 907 Forumite
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    So I don't think it's as easy as you think for employers to operate company credit cards. The statements go to the company and they are liable and they have to employ someone to sort it all out which costs money. So unless you are offering up someone else's job or a pay cut to pay for it, then it doesn't work.

How large is the company you work for?

I have company credit cards for 6 members of staff. I reconcile them myself each month, takes about 20 mins.

Does your company not have any existing accounts staff? To me they're looking for excuses. It takes just as long to sort out expenses payments as it does a company credit card scheme, if not longer.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    How large is the company you work for?
    About 250 staff although it may have been a different size when they made the decision.
    But yes, if you scale up from 6 then you could easily get to a couple of days a week.
    Does your company not have any existing accounts staff?
    Yes of course they do.
    But they calculated the effort at 2.5 days per week i.e. half a person.
    What are you suggesting, that the existing staff work unpaid overtime to do the work?
    To me they're looking for excuses. It takes just as long to sort out expenses payments as it does a company credit card scheme, if not longer.
    Well they say otherwise.
    In the first case they have to reconcile statements with expense claims and if they don't tally they have to chase the staff member as the company is liable for the payments.
    In the second case if it doesn't tally for any reason, they simply decline the claim and it's the employees problem, so less effort for them.

I don't believe they were lying, but to be honest I'm very happy with the 0% loan I have.
    I don't have any issues with it, I'm just pointing out that there may be issues for employers with some schemes.
    If you want to believe my employer was lying then why would they do that??
    It's not like they would have needed to start a scheme, we already had Barclaycard.
    What's you reason for thinking they made it all up and then agreed to give 0% cash advances, what's their motivation??
    BTW - they did get rid of a person and saved costs, so they didn't lie about that part.
  • Jon_B_2
    Jon_B_2 Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I have a company car and I do as you do, I use my 56 days interest free on my credit card and pay a months worth of fuel, disclose my business and personal miles and get my expenses back within 7 days and then pay off my cc in full.

My expenses bill this month is heading towards £700 so good job i've got a CC!
  • TFD_2
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    About 250 staff although it may have been a different size when they made the decision.
    But yes, if you scale up from 6 then you could easily get to a couple of days a week.

Yes of course they do.
    But they calculated the effort at 2.5 days per week i.e. half a person.
    What are you suggesting, that the existing staff work unpaid overtime to do the work?

Well they say otherwise.
    In the first case they have to reconcile statements with expense claims and if they don't tally they have to chase the staff member as the company is liable for the payments.
    In the second case if it doesn't tally for any reason, they simply decline the claim and it's the employees problem, so less effort for them.

I don't believe they were lying, but to be honest I'm very happy with the 0% loan I have.
    I don't have any issues with it, I'm just pointing out that there may be issues for employers with some schemes.
    If you want to believe my employer was lying then why would they do that??
    It's not like they would have needed to start a scheme, we already had Barclaycard.
    What's you reason for thinking they made it all up and then agreed to give 0% cash advances, what's their motivation??
    BTW - they did get rid of a person and saved costs, so they didn't lie about that part.

I think the point you made about liability is the important one here, and will be the underlying factor. With expenses, if they don't agree it's valid, they turn it down. With a company card, they would have to deduct payments from wages, which would take more time.

I just to not agree that it would take any significant extra amount of time to work with company credit cards than via expenses.

Their assumption that the admin would add 20 hours per week seems crazy - if they gave a card to everybody - is that likely!? - then they are allowing an additional 20 mins of work per card over dealing with the existing scheme. If half the employees had a card, that's 40 mins of work per card. This is madness!

I think it suits them better to work with expenses, if not the employees. It shift all liability away from them. Anything else is an excuse, or just a sign of a badly run company. IMHO.
  • lisyloo
    edited 18 July 2010 at 6:10PM
    Options
    I just to not agree that it would take any significant extra amount of time to work with company credit cards than via expenses.
    Bear in mind this is a lowly admin assistant and not someone of your calibre, so may be inefficient by your standards.
    The bean counters (accountants) saw an opportunity to save some money and took it.
    The fact that now highly paid engineers spend an equal or greater time doing expenses is somehow lost in our 37.5 hour week because the 20 mins we spend is not paid extra.
    Do you get it now?
    It's a false economy but they got to make someone (cheap) redundant.
    if they gave a card to everybody - is that likely!?
    Yes I think everybody had a card. Most of us do a similar job and incurr travel.
    I think it suits them better to work with expenses, if not the employees. It shift all liability away from them. Anything else is an excuse, or just a sign of a badly run company. IMHO.
    Let's say you're right.
    Let's go with that for the time being. It was a crock of lies.
    Let's suppose companies sometimes lie because they don't want to explain their REAL reasons.

I still suggest that people work with their employer to come up with a joint solution amenable to both parties rather than risk being seen as negative and escalating their position for redundancy. You still have to work with the employer even if you think it's a crock of sh**.

Do you not agree with that point I'm making?

Mu suspicion is that actually the person doing the work wasn't very good, but also when people had the cards, they weren't very good at correctly recording their expenses as it made no odds to them.
  • TFD_2
    Options
    Does it really matter? Not sure why we're arguing this!!!

Ultimately it's the companies shout on whether they want to offer company cards or not. If the employees don't like it, they can find another job... I disagree with the posts earlier suggesting they should ask their employer for a card - if they have a scheme then that's fine, if not, then you have to work with how it is.

My feeling is that it's unreasonable for employees to have to bankroll any significant expenses. The occasional meal, hotel, tank of fuel etc. is one thing, but if it's regular and significant, then I feel the company should have something better in place, and to cite the admin involved as the reason for not doing this is unreasonable.

But again, just my opinion. Im clearly just a far fairer employer than most ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport