Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

Large deposit upfront for new kitchen and bathroom?

New Post Advanced Search

Large deposit upfront for new kitchen and bathroom?

3 replies 4.4K views
NicholasNicholas Forumite
629 posts
Part of the Furniture
✭✭
I'm planning to have a new kitchen and bathroom fitted soon by a (hopefully) professional company.

I'm having some good quality stuff fitted and it is going to cost in the region of £12,000-13,000.

If I decide to go ahead, the company wants a third (ie £4000) upfront, and the remainder, minus £1000 to be paid on delivery of the materials at the end of the week prior to fitting. The last £1,000 is to be paid to the kitchen fitter on completion.

Does this strike anyone as strange? They say they do not subcontract, so why do I have to pay the kitchen fitter on completion, yet the full bathroom cost upfront.

Perhaps it is my misconception, but I would have thought a small deposit (say £1000) upfront would have been ample, and the rest paid either in stages or after a satisfactory job has been completed.

Does anyone think this is unreasonable?

(The company is The Kitchen Factory situated in Plymouth in case anyone local to the area replies to my thread)

Thanks

Replies

• nearlyrichnearlyrich Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Hung up my suit! Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had a similar arrangement with our kitchen provider last year, we paid a £5k deposit with order in Feb, £5K as they started work in late March,then the balance to the fitter when the job was completed. As it was a bespoke kitchen with units built to our specifications, ie extra tall and deep wall units, I thought that was reasonable. We didn't pay the final sum until the snag list was finished.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Nicholas wrote:
    I'm planning to have a new kitchen and bathroom fitted soon by a (hopefully) professional company.

I'm having some good quality stuff fitted and it is going to cost in the region of £12,000-13,000.

If I decide to go ahead, the company wants a third (ie £4000) upfront, and the remainder, minus £1000 to be paid on delivery of the materials at the end of the week prior to fitting. The last £1,000 is to be paid to the kitchen fitter on completion.

Does this strike anyone as strange? They say they do not subcontract, so why do I have to pay the kitchen fitter on completion, yet the full bathroom cost upfront.

Perhaps it is my misconception, but I would have thought a small deposit (say £1000) upfront would have been ample, and the rest paid either in stages or after a satisfactory job has been completed.

Does anyone think this is unreasonable?

(The company is The Kitchen Factory situated in Plymouth in case anyone local to the area replies to my thread)

Thanks

I wouldn,t pay more than 20% deposit,£2.5k,do forget they dont pay for materials for 30-60 days
    Materials on site £7.5k
    final payment £2k-£3k upon completeion and you have snagged it.
    And as you say they dont sudcontract,so ask why you can pay them,as you will only be dealing with 1 company,and they cant blame the fitters,beware!
    Dont pay cash,if possible use a credit card
    A thankyou is payment enough .
  • robowenrobowen Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only thing dodgy about the KF is their prices.

They are a reputable company up here selling good kitchens, quality is reasonably good too.
    But they are pricey to say the least.
    We had an extension built and needed to rearrange the kitchen with 3 more units.KF wanted over a grand to supply them.
    Went to b&q, got carcasses for around £28 each, then went to a kitchen door manufacturer near us , who replicated the 3 doors to what we have already for £100.

Can't tell the difference.
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support