Received Penalty charge notice, disputed and lost advice please.

Hi all, my very first post however i got loads of tips and advice in the past. Im hoping someone can help.

i received a penalty charge notice and appealed it. When they sent the evidence via email i decided they were right and i would pay. I went to pay online and it said the amount was £120 instead of £60.
I emailed them again to say i wish to pay but its still at double please advice and got an email back saying they are dealing with my request.
This was over a month ago.
Should i contact them back or just wait till they get back to me. Also if i don't chase them up what are the consequences.
Thanks in advance for your time.

Replies

• If this is a private parking ticket, don't pay it as its a scam, don't repsond to any letters from them or their bogus debt collectors, these tickets are not enforcible in law at all, and they are just pleading for you to part with your hard earned money! Watchdog on the BBC did an item about them, and the solicitor they had on confirmed it to be a scam!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIcdi9niHA

The only tickets you need to deal with are from the council or police.
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • jingjokjingjok Forumite
    13 Posts
    Hi thanks for reply its from Wandsworth council.
  • edited 30 June 2010 at 9:58PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    100.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 June 2010 at 9:58PM
    Well, presumably you informally appealed, following receiving a PCN?

There is a second stage, formal appeal following receipt of a Notice to Owner. Have you received a Notice to Owner yet? There's also a third stage, adjudicator, so it's early days yet.

Can you post links to 'washed' copies of your PCN and rejection letter (and Notice to Owner if you've received it yet)? There's a fairly good chance you can get off the ticket altogether if you do the formal appeal well.

I certainly wouldn't be rushing to pay the higher amount because you've nothing to lose by appealing if that's the current amount you'd have to pay. Even if it goes to the adjudicator in due course you're only risking paying the full fine, no costs or extras.

What was the evidence that convinced you to pay up, I am interested to know? Councils almost always decline informal appeals but that never means you haven't got a case.

One point of appeal would be the procedural impropriety of the discounted fine not being available as an option (as long as you were trying to pay in time)? Other points may be apparent when you post pics of the PCN and letters, Councils muck up the paperwork so often it's silly, TBH. Most parking fines from Councils can be successfully appealed if you know what to look for.

If you can't post links as you're a newbie, remove the http:// from the URL and we can convert it to a full link ourselves.

HTH
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    13 Posts
    Hi many thanks for your responses.
    Here is all my correspondence and replies with pictures. Any problems viewing them please let me know. The evidence and original letter are in blue.

Letters in reverse order, first one being most recent.

Our Ref: Misc/Paid

Thank you for your email which is receiving our attention. A reply will be sent as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely

Angelo Soares
    Parking Officer

Dear Sir,
    I went to pay this fine online however it is asking for £120. I
    previously spoke to an Adam who informed me that once I had evidence
    that I had a committed a traffic contravention it would be reduced back
    to £60. I also explained that I had been away on holiday from the 13th
    to the 2nd June and had not received this letter by the time I had
    left.
    Please let me know how this can be amended.

Regards

Evidence Link
    i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/jingjok27/evidence.jpg

>----Original Message----
    >From: parkingenquires wandsworth
    >Date: Jun 11, 2010 16:31
    >To:
    >Subject: photo request
    >
    >Dear Sir
    >Please find enclosed photgraphic evidence as requested.
    >Please make formal representations or pay the charge as detailed in
    the Penalty Charge Notice.
    >
    >Mark Sprackling
    >Parking Correspondence

PHOTO REQUEST
    Thank you for your email below. Your request for photographic evidence has been passed to an Officer for attention and a response will be sent within 28 days.

Thanking You,

Ms Krithika Ramalingam
    for Parking Office Manager

Ref: PCN WA21650731
    To whom it may concern,
    I have received a Penalty charge notice ref
    number WA21650731. I wish to appeal this charge. Please provide me with
    evidence of the alleged traffic contravention. If you require any other
    details please let me know
    Yours Sincerely

Original Letter
    i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/jingjok27/FINE071.jpg

• edited 1 July 2010 at 8:52AM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    100.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 July 2010 at 8:52AM
    I can't see this link at all, it's not working for me (evidence photo):

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/jingjok27/evidence.jpg

And the PCN photo only shows the front of the PCN. We will need to see the small print on the back of the PCN - it's important as that's the part that is often flawed = a possible appeal win for you.

Do you feel that the signage was clear in communicating where you should have driven? The fact the Council have a photo of your car driving through the wrong lane doesn't mean you can't build a case based on lack of signs or even non-prescribed signs, or the other lane being blocked, or an emergency vehicle forcing you to move out of the way... But we would need to see those signs and know more about the circumstances.

I would put in the post to them an informal appeal letter right now, this week, seeing as you have not had the Notice to Owner yet. You can informally appeal at any time before the NTO and you haven't actually appealed yet have you? One point would be the procedural impropriety of an employee (Adam) telling you the fine would be at discounted level once they sent the evidence photo, another appeal point would be whatever reason led you to believe that it was OK to proceed in that lane.

At least the informal appeal should prompt a Notice of Rejection (par for the course with most Councils at this stage). And then you should get offered the discounted fine again in that letter. Maybe the problem was that you didn't actually appeal so they never sent a rejection letter?

I would also recommend that you post a new thread on pepipoo.com, after registering and reading their FAQs & forum rules. That is, if you want to look into possible appeal points rather than just pay - they win the vast majority of council PCN cases. You can post full links straight away over there but they would want them attached to the thread itself using tinypic, not photobucket links (see 'how to post pictures):

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

HTH
    13 Posts
    Coupon-Mad many thanks for your help and i will register with the site you recommend.

Here is the pic of the back. Due to me being a new user i can not post links so i have emitted the http://

i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/jingjok27/FINEback.jpg

Your feedback on the back of this letter would also greatly be appreciated.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    100.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Well here are the PCN scans in full:

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/jingjok27/FINEback.jpg

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/jingjok27/FINE071.jpg

I think pepipoo will say 'fettered reps' = a flaw on this PCN. That's at least one thing wrong with it!

That's because on the back it only lets you tick one box for your representations. You can tick any but their wording restricts your reps to having to choose just one box, which is procedural impropriety IMHO.

Can you repost that other link that didn't work, the photo evidence?
    13 Posts
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Well here are the PCN scans in full:

i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/jingjok27/FINEback.jpg

i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/jingjok27/FINE071.jpg

I think pepipoo will say 'fettered reps' = a flaw on this PCN. That's at least one thing wrong with it!

That's because on the back it only lets you tick one box for your representations. You can tick any but their wording restricts your reps to having to choose just one box, which is procedural impropriety IMHO.

Can you repost that other link that didn't work, the photo evidence?

Here are all the letters that have been sent to me.
    It just so happens i received a letter today which i've added below. I guess what im hoping is that they have made a mistake with regards to the letters sent.

Please add the http://

i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/j...eponse073-1.jpg (most recent) No back.

i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/j...k27/FINE071.jpg (original letter front)

i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/j...27/FINEback.jpg (original letter back)

i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/j...27/evidence.jpg (there evidence)
  • peter_the_piperpeter_the_piper Forumite
    30.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, maybe its me but "page not found"
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • jingjok wrote: »
    Here are all the letters that have been sent to me.
    It just so happens i received a letter today which i've added below. I guess what im hoping is that they have made a mistake with regards to the letters sent.

Please add the http://

i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/j...eponse073-1.jpg (most recent) No back.

i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/j...k27/FINE071.jpg (original letter front)

i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/j...27/FINEback.jpg (original letter back)

i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/j...27/evidence.jpg (there evidence)

you need to make sure that the links are not shortened otherwise nobody can go to your links, if you have a problem posting them here send me a PM and I will post them up for you.
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides