OK, what won't you save on?

Apols if threads like these come up all the time.

I'm very motivated to become MF, and I know I'm in good company :) A theme seems to emerge on this board often, which is the balance between obsessively paying every single pence into the mortgage, and enjoying life / building savings etc.

I myself have always been somewhat of a saver, well before getting a mortgage. It's also probably true that I am known for being careful with money :) Some of the things I won't give up:

- Buildings/contents insurance (I'm not mad)
- A moderate amount on alcohol (£50 per month but considering making my own)
- The odd takeaway (hmm, probably another £50 per month).

But what do you refuse to skimp on (sensibly so or not)?

Replies

• poppyoscar_3poppyoscar_3 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    i always buy lurpak butter even when it's not on special offer!
    PO xx
    :D2010 MFW Challenge No. 112 Mortgage paid in full 27/08/10 I was MF!!!:D
    But now I'm not - (Joint) Mortgage £104704.
    New MFW target £5000 overpayments by 31/12/2105 £400/£5000 = 8%
    SAVINGS TARGET - £25000 by 31/12/2015 £13643/£25000 = 55%
    No 17 Lewis Lane
  • *pinkie**pinkie* Forumite
    120 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A good hair cut and good quality face moisturiser!
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Bread, nice bread is the one thing i wont compromise on.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    plenty of fruit and veg...free range eggs and chicken...nice bits for the kids packed lunches
    onwards and upwards
  • zchas42zchas42 Forumite
    10 Posts
    Eating sausages.
  • edited 28 June 2010 at 7:37PM
    mandragora_2mandragora_2 Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    edited 28 June 2010 at 7:37PM
    Comfortable pants, a good bra that fits me properly and cotton socks.

Any clothes over and above base layer - well, they can be charity shop/cast-offs/ancient - if they look reasonable and don't shame me, I'm fine!

I agree with the 'good haircut' line, too - I'd rather have it cut shorter by a great hairdresser and go less often, than more frequently but badly cut - the cut will hold its shape if it's been well done, over a number of months.
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • dimbo61dimbo61 Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I let my wife cut my hair for free and she is getting very good at it!
    Now everyone should have buildings insurance ( required by lender ) and also contents insurance but its about getting best value for money ( loyalty does not pay)
    Mums Insurance this year £258 with current insurer then 5 mins of moneysupermarket/ gocompare etc followed by quidco and hey same insurance for £75
    Shop round
  • uzubairuuzubairu Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    dimbo61 wrote: »
    Now everyone should have buildings insurance ( required by lender ) and also contents insurance but its about getting best value for money ( loyalty does not pay)
    Mums Insurance this year £258 with current insurer then 5 mins of moneysupermarket/ gocompare etc followed by quidco and hey same insurance for £75
    Shop round

I've used a different insurer every year for the last 3 years, and I've managed to get cashback every time.
    In one year the cashback for buildings insurance was £125 and the cost of the insurance was £110. :)

I'm currently in the process of renewing buildings and contents for the cominy year.

Holidays, we budget each year for holidays, plus we collect Tesco Clubcard points which nets us a free holiday each year.
    We use MSE techniques to get good holidays cheap wherever possible.

Eating out once a month.

Fruit, vegetables and eggs. We used to only buy free range eggs, but my friend has chickens (rescued battery hens), so we get all our eggs free now and they taste yummy.
  • tootallulahtootallulah Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Forumite
    One cup of good coffee every morning, free range eggs and chicken, fresh fruit, organic milk.
  • edited 29 June 2010 at 7:07AM
    greentgreent Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 29 June 2010 at 7:07AM
    free range eggs & chickens. British pork, raised to a good standard - includes good bacon & ham (none of the watery stuff). Steak mince. LOts of f & v (although the summer bill is reduced due to hg crops)

the odd takeaway. the odd meal out. the odd theatre trip.

A decent holiday a year and a couple of good daytrips and/ or weekends away (but clubcard points used for things)

I won't have a cold house in the winter either.

Clarks shoes for all the kids (4) - school shoes and trainers. Wellies/ flip flops/ crocs are cheapy ones.

Heinz baked beans, heinz ketchup, sarsons vinegar, kelloggs cornflakes, decent bread (none of the ready sliced stuff), walkers crisps, G&B choc, Napolina tinned tomatoes.

School trips and enough uniform for the kids - at least 3 tops and bottoms for smaller ones and 2/3 jumpers each. DD(aged 12) has 2 skirts, 4 blouses and 2 jumpers (and blazer etc) They will have hand me downs/ freegled stuff - but I'll chuck it if it's not in good nick (I hate the way some people use freegle to give away a bag of clothes and only about 2 items are wearable due to rips and stains - if they offered it as being in that condition, fair enough, but they usually don't!)

Regular barber trips for DH, DS1 & DS2 (I don't like short 'clippered' hair on my boys) (DS3 is only just 1 and hair still wispy). DD & I have very similar hair and can get away with a decent cut 2-3x year (2 for her and 3 for me) with fringes cut in between (which most salons will do for free for regulars)

Hmm..., that's quite a long list!!!

Forgot one more: DS1 has a tutor once a week to help with literacy issues. School have not been very supportive over the years here. It is money extremely well spent - he has improved so much and I'd forgo something else if I had to to ensure we could still have her!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2023: £230
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals