Which Shampoo?

Hi I'm hoping I have posted this in the right place!

I am trying to cut down on the money I spend on toiletries, managing so far on skincare, the one area I am struggling with is finding a decent shampoo and conditioner. I currently use Aveda but this is £9 on average per 250ml bottle, so costs me a fortune.

I cannot use boots own brand, johnstone's or dove as I seem to take a really bad reaction to them so wont even go near them in the shops. Can anyone recommend a recent shampoo and conditioner that I could give a go?

Thanks
DFW Nerd no. 177 :)

~ Car HP - £1447.41 still to pay - Final payment July 2008 :T

~ 26 monthly payments left of my Trust Deed :)

~ Clear Credit Report March 2012 :T

PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS

Comments

• gk172
    gk172 Posts: 1,875
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Do you have a salon services near you? as you dont need a card to shop there but if you do you get a discount. I have bought a lot of shampoo and conditioner there and they last for ages. I buy the avec range (its recently had a name change to system 21) tea tree and recently i tried the coconut which is fantastic. Or there is salon services own brand huge 5 litre containers for £10-12. The price i paid a few days ago was £11 for 2x litre bottles of the tea tree conditioner and the shampoo is the same price or if you want to try it first there is the 250 ml for under £3 a bottle and buy 2 get 2nd half price.

Or watch out for the toni and guy offers in boots;)
    The more i save the more i can spend:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • dlb
    dlb Posts: 2,488 Forumite
    I do same, go to local warehouse need to have a card but my friend takes me once a month on her card.

They stock salon stuff and cheap cheap prices, i buy all my toiletrys for the month and cost me half of the price.

They sell in huge bottles too.
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
  • fsdss
    fsdss Posts: 1,429
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i wouldnt recommend fructis. it gives me an itchy head. and when i started scratching my head (after excluding headlice) alot of my friends stated that they had the same reaction with fructis.
    it was something to do with the fruit in the shampoo apparantly.

tresemme is always on offer somewhere, i've tried this before and have been pleasantly surprised with the results.
    Give blood - its free
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535
    Forumite
    I have found Tresemme to be good-I buy it when Tesco or Sainsbury's have a bogof or buy two for xxpounds promotion on.

The bottles are a bit big for in the shower so I just fill up a smaller shampoo bottle and refill as necessary.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • Fritha_2
    Fritha_2 Posts: 1,447
    Forumite
    Have you thought about Lush shampoos and conditioners? My friend has the same problem as you she's basically allergic to everything! She tried Lush's Godiva (a solid shampoo/conditioner bar) it costs £4.50 but it lasts forever. She said her hair and scalp loved it and you can really see the difference. I use the Lush shampoo bars a lot and they're great for your hair and really really last! http://www.lush.co.uk

P.S. You can also use the Lush shampoo bars to wash yourself if you want. When my friend has her baby she plans to take a Godiva in and nothing else!
    Comping, freebieing and trying to pay the mortgage off early!
  • emilyt
    emilyt Posts: 2,051
    Forumite
    If you have a sensitive scalp then try using baby shampoo. It is very gentle and doesn't sting your eyes. Hope this is of some help.
    When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile :D
  • pms
    pms Posts: 161 Forumite
    Thank you for the suggestions we have a Sally's hair and beauty shop near us and have never thought about trying there think there is also another similar shop around the corner from it will definately be going to investigate :)
    DFW Nerd no. 177 :)

~ Car HP - £1447.41 still to pay - Final payment July 2008 :T

~ 26 monthly payments left of my Trust Deed :)

~ Clear Credit Report March 2012 :T

PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Janepig
    Janepig Posts: 16,780 Forumite
    I use Lidl's two in one shampoo and conditioner (Pool?) which is about 70p and I find it's absolutely fine and I have had a sensitive scalp in the past, and it also tends to get sunburnt (when we have the weather)!!!

You could also try Savers or Wilkinsons who are usually much cheaper than other toiletry suppliers.

At the other end of the price range, I can also recommend Lush products which are fab.

Jxx
    And it looks like we made it once again
    Yes it looks like we made it to the end
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills