New Post Advanced Search

Property Boundary.

3 replies 732 views
liclic Forumite
275 posts
Help,

I have recently moved house. My new home was previously unregistered with Land Registry.
It is now registered. Briefly I live at the end of a cul-de-sac. Since my house was built (1930's), and when I bought it (2004) the cul-de-sac was extended into what used to be a school field.
In doing so a small strip of land immediately outside my front garden, and the pavement area, was according to land Registry, assigned to a neighbour's property.
I wish to buy this land, I have written to my neighbour but have had no response. I imagine that he does not or did not know he may own this land.
Does anyone know of a way without using Land Registry records, of finding our who is the likely owner of this strip of land.
I only want to buy the land to creae a vehicular entry to my home.
Lic.

Replies

• lic wrote:
    Help,

I have recently moved house. My new home was previously unregistered with Land Registry.
    It is now registered. Briefly I live at the end of a cul-de-sac. Since my house was built (1930's), and when I bought it (2004) the cul-de-sac was extended into what used to be a school field.
    In doing so a small strip of land immediately outside my front garden, and the pavement area, was according to land Registry, assigned to a neighbour's property.
    I wish to buy this land, I have written to my neighbour but have had no response. I imagine that he does not or did not know he may own this land.
    Does anyone know of a way without using Land Registry records, of finding our who is the likely owner of this strip of land.
    I only want to buy the land to creae a vehicular entry to my home.

just claim it,a bit late now you have told him he owns it,i
    A thankyou is payment enough .
  • robowenrobowen Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Best to find out who owns it first.
    If no-one owns it you can claim it by registering it at the land registry.
    Not sure what the criteria is for registering land, or how long you must have be looking after the land before claiming it.

Imagine going to the trouble of putting fencing up, maybe even a tarmac driveway, only to be told later to take it up again.
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • RedOnRedRedOnRed Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Oh dear, sounds like a fast-track route into a neighbours from hell situation, unless you tread very carefully.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support