Tesco "Finest" Platinum chaos?

Options
Today my wife had a day out in Manchester. She had an appointment at Vidal Sasson first and then intended to go shopping in the big stores. As usual, she had her Tesco Platinum MasterCard (valid 'till September 2010) with her. When it came to pay at VS the card was declined. She rang me for advice and I contacted Tesco customer service. I was informed that we had received a product upgrade and new cards issued yesterday. The current card is no longer valid. So, my wife's day out was ruined amid much embarrassment. Having calmed down a little I spoke to a manager a couple of hours later. Apparently the information about the product upgrade will accompany the cards. I assume I will have to validate the cards when they arrive before I can use them. Surely the old card should be valid 'till then? So beware. If you have a Tesco card it may be refused. Unless you have special powers you won't know until it happens. I'm now waiting for the manager to get back with an explanation sometime tomorrow before I shred the old and the new cards and take my business elsewhere.

Comments

• PROLIANT
    PROLIANT Posts: 6,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    g3sna wrote: »
    Today my wife had a day out in Manchester. She had an appointment at Vidal Sasson first and then intended to go shopping in the big stores. As usual, she had her Tesco Platinum MasterCard (valid 'till September 2010) with her. When it came to pay at VS the card was declined. She rang me for advice and I contacted Tesco customer service. I was informed that we had received a product upgrade and new cards issued yesterday. The current card is no longer valid. So, my wife's day out was ruined amid much embarrassment. Having calmed down a little I spoke to a manager a couple of hours later. Apparently the information about the product upgrade will accompany the cards. I assume I will have to validate the cards when they arrive before I can use them. Surely the old card should be valid 'till then? So beware. If you have a Tesco card it may be refused. Unless you have special powers you won't know until it happens. I'm now waiting for the manager to get back with an explanation sometime tomorrow before I shred the old and the new cards and take my business elsewhere.
    Hi Stuart, welcome to MSE.
    Some card companies have a bad habit pulling stunts like this, sorry you have been a victim of poor service.
    My advice would be to write a complaint to the card services dept at Tesco bank.
    Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    Thanks for the heads-up Stuart. I have one of those, expiring in August. I plan to be in Cuba round about then and would only use the Tesco card as a back-up but wouldn't want it to be refused.

Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • Boa21
    Boa21 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That's interesting I tried to use my card on-line today and it was refused. Then Tesco called me to say it had been used fraduantly and stopped.

There was nothing showing on the on-line statement, but a new card is on the way. Coincidence I'm sure
    The force is strong in this one!
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Biggest question on this thread.

How do you guys know the OP name is Stuart ? :cool:
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Fruit_and_Nut_Case Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 9 June 2010 at 10:00PM
    Options
    fozmcfc wrote: »
    Biggest question on this thread.

How do you guys know the OP name is Stuart ? :cool:
    Amateur radio callsign G3SNA is a clue.

(ex-G6CDZ)
  • g3sna
    g3sna Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi FruitAndNutCase,

I am pretty sure they will fix this system problem before you go to Cuba and you should get your 'product upgrade' fairly soon. They make it sound like they are giving away something better. Call me an old sceptic if you like but I somehow doubt it.

For those who don't know how he found my name check this out: qrz dot com

73 to all,

Stuart
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    g3sna wrote: »
    Hi FruitAndNutCase,

I am pretty sure they will fix this system problem before you go to Cuba and you should get your 'product upgrade' fairly soon. They make it sound like they are giving away something better. Call me an old sceptic if you like but I somehow doubt it.

For those who don't know how he found my name check this out: qrz dot com

73 to all,

Stuart

Well quite. What happens if you wish to thank them for their offer of an upgrade but choose to decline it?
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    Well quite. What happens if you wish to thank them for their offer of an upgrade but choose to decline it?
    I've just done a bit of Googling and it seems like Tesco Finest Platinum MasterCards are being "upgraded" to Tesco Finest World MasterCards.

It looks like this won't affect me after all as I have a Tesco Finest Platinum Visa.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tesco are in the process of separating their systems from RBS who currently issue the cards etc for Tesco.

They have also have not offered Visa cards for a number of years, so I would not be surprised if they migrate all their Visa customers over to the MasterCard equivalent in the not too distant future ;)
    I've just done a bit of Googling and it seems like Tesco Finest Platinum MasterCards are being "upgraded" to Tesco Finest World MasterCards.

It looks like this won't affect me after all as I have a Tesco Finest Platinum Visa.
  • unidentified
    unidentified Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    It looks like this won't affect me after all as I have a Tesco Finest Platinum Visa

You lucky sod!

How'd you get that, did you decline the Mastercard a few years back when they tried to switch all the customers over?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure