Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Pet Insurance

in Pets & pet care
5 replies 910 views
Not sure if this is the right place but who has the cheapest pet insurance for a 2 month old puppy please

Thanks

Replies

• Jay-Jay_4Jay-Jay_4 Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Forumite
    Don't know about the cheapest but we use Petplan for our horses because they pay out quickly, are hassle free and have a very good reputation. Our vets like them because they get paid straight away. The one to avoid is Entertainment and Leisure who have low premiums but who don't like to pay out, in addition they expect you to pay the bill yourself and then they decide if they will reimburse you.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• jaxxy00jaxxy00 Forumite
    1K Posts
    If you take it out with M & S then you have the option of no excess and dont pay a thing, where as most have an excess of £50 or £80. To me this makes it questionable as to wether insurance is worth it as unless you have a serious problem costing a lot of money then most time you go to the vets its about £30-£50ish anyway. Thats the reason i have M&S anyway and also they pay the vet direct so no having to find the money then claim it back.

The no excess option only makes about £10 difference to the yearly figure too so really you would be daft not to have that option.
  • Kirsty262Kirsty262 Forumite
    254 Posts
    jaxxy00 wrote:
    If you take it out with M & S then you have the option of no excess and dont pay a thing, where as most have an excess of £50 or £80. To me this makes it questionable as to wether insurance is worth it as unless you have a serious problem costing a lot of money then most time you go to the vets its about £30-£50ish anyway. Thats the reason i have M&S anyway and also they pay the vet direct so no having to find the money then claim it back.

The no excess option only makes about £10 difference to the yearly figure too so really you would be daft not to have that option.

Thanks but I have just got a quote from them of over £200 :confused:
  • K9cuddlesK9cuddles Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    M&S will be extremely hard to beat for value for cover!! But I know they have realigned some premiums that may have effected you.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 092

::£2 - CSC - Terramundi is filling up!! :: Joined 3/3/06 :: 5/2/07 - 835kg + £280 Banked!!::
    ::5p,10p & 20p - Savings Tin :: Founded 9/4/06 :: 23/3/07 - 3.2kg ::

Lost to date - 9kg (22/8/06) Next weigh in 2007!!
  • Kirsty262 wrote:
    Thanks but I have just got a quote from them of over £200 :confused:

I take it from that price your dog is a pedigree.

I dont know how many quotes you have had but although its reasurring just to know you have insurance if it was needed its not always best to go with the cheapest.

Some cover for more things than others etc, its not until you need to claim that you realise just how good or bad they really are, the same as for any insurance.

Mine covered thoses expensive tins of food while my dog was ill (vet was suprised insurance paid) and also pays for his hydrotherapy swim sessions. The lady at the pool told me of a lady whos dog goes there whos covered by petplan, that they now will not pay anymore for his swimming as they are saying shes got to take him to a specific pool which is about 50 miles away. They will not pay for the travel only the swim session so shes in a position of its cheaper for her to pay out her own pocket for the swim rather than the cost of travel to take the dog 50 miles where they would then foot the bill. The only reason that can be thought of for this is for them to try and get out of paying for it.

The hydrotherapy pool ladys own dog is having to travel for treatment (insured with M&S) and not only is the treatment but the travel costs are also being met too (about 100 mile round trip weekly to start with, then monthly i think it is).

Im not saying you should choose M&S but just consider the benefits of them all.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals