Egg taking direct debits but I've cancelled the account a while ago

Options
I'm a bit fed up with Egg and wondered if anyone had experienced the same problem and could give some advice on how to resolve it. They've been taking money from my account by DD on and off for almost 2 yrs when I've got a nil balance. I've even emailed and cancelled the card and this month they've taken another 488 pounds. I've cancelled the DD and they keep reinstating it, they've even taken money using my husbands debit card number. It has taken ages to get the money back on times and I'm really sick of it......Anyone had anything similar and how did you resolve it? Over the 2 yrs they must have taken almost 2,000 pound that they've had to refund.

Comments

• stephane_2
    stephane_2 Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Options
    Have you made a formal complaint to Egg about this situation? If not then I suggest you do write to their complaint department sending it Recorded Delivery & I would suggest that you ask for some compensation. If they are unable to resolve the situation then you could go to the Financial Ombusman
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If the Direct Debit has been cancelled with your bank then they are responsible for refunding the money.
  • Imani
    Imani Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    7291joanne wrote: »
    I'm a bit fed up with Egg and wondered if anyone had experienced the same problem and could give some advice on how to resolve it. They've been taking money from my account by DD on and off for almost 2 yrs when I've got a nil balance. I've even emailed and cancelled the card and this month they've taken another 488 pounds. I've cancelled the DD and they keep reinstating it, they've even taken money using my husbands debit card number. It has taken ages to get the money back on times and I'm really sick of it......Anyone had anything similar and how did you resolve it? Over the 2 yrs they must have taken almost 2,000 pound that they've had to refund.

It sounds odd. You need to establish if you have cancelled all subscriptions on the card with the subscription owner. double check that.

Then also either write in a complaint or ask for a complaint to be filed and escalated to complaints. Though for paper trails write in and yes recorded delivery. When you write clearly state on envelope Complaints Team/Dept and do so on the letter state this is a complaint etc .Outline the last 2yrs of what has been going on. Also have your husband write a complaint that Egg are using his details without permission. However if the direct debit was ever set up using his details with his permission and they have a debt to collect on will be a bit harder

Anyway if your account is still active go online and go through your statements for last 12 months. if you want statements printed for last 2yrs you will be charged for this - afterall online bank means you would have had access to the statments 24hrs a day etc

You should get a response in 5 days or so and they have 8wks to complete and decide on your complaint to keep within Financial ombudsman guidelines and banking code. after that period you can go to the ombudsman

If you do not complain to Egg 1st and go straight to the ombudsman all they will do is send your complaint to egg so it follows that normal complaint process.

good luck
    would love to be a home owner. hate private renting
    scared of debt. almost debt free.
  • Imani
    Imani Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    If the Direct Debit has been cancelled with your bank then they are responsible for refunding the money.

yep thats right under the direct debit guarantee!!! If it is a debit card that that is different - may need to check if debit card details are saved on system.

was you ever in an arrangement etc etc
    would love to be a home owner. hate private renting
    scared of debt. almost debt free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills