I have been refused a Credit Card but I have checked my Credit Score & its EXCELLENT.

Options
I dont understand why I would be refused a Credit card & then I check my Credit Score & its Excellent. Why would this be ???

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,639 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    err.........could it be that because the score you've been sold is completely meaningless and a made up number??
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    hayley897 wrote: »
    I dont understand why I would be refused a Credit card & then I check my Credit Score & its Excellent. Why would this be ???
    Search the forum for experian score 999 and you will find dozens of people with the same query. And the same response. Save your money, folks!
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,975 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Like the others have said, these credit scores are generally pretty meaningless.

The sort of questions to ask are;

Are you on the electoral roll ?
    Do you have a regular income ?
    Do you have any credit history (i.e have you every had any credit cards, store cards, mortgages etc) ?
    If so, have you always made the minimum payments on time ?
    Do you have any debts at present ?
    Do you have an credit available to you at present (e.g. credit cards with available credit ) ?
    If you have debts or available credit, what proportion of your annual income are they ?
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Could be for all sorts of reasons, not possible to say from the info you have given.
    Most frequent reasons are because you already have too much credit in relation to your income or because you have no credit history.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Butterfliesarepretty
    Options
    I was refused for four credit cards. All my accounts settled in the past years, mortage paid up to date, all and leic bank showing me as going over overdraft which I am trying to control and there was £45 showing as outstanding from co-op account I settled in 2008. Wrote letter to co-op and got a £50 cheque this morning for compensation and they are now sending the correct details to experian. But if I dont check my report once a year I can guarantee I will always find something wrong with it.:(
    Mortgage Free 2016Work Part Time:DHouse Hunting In France 2023
  • BugsyBrowne
    BugsyBrowne Posts: 5,697 Forumite
    Options
    You got excellent that is brilliant,unfortunately experian don't do credit cards,so meaningless really....
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Options

Because the CC company don't want you as a customer. Usually because they don't think they can make enough money out of you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure