Boiler problems - Time to replace or just repair again?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels
3 replies 1K views
MilneyMilney Forumite
1 Post
Hi

I have an IDEAL condensing combi boiler that is just 10 years old. Being IDEAL (which I now conclude is a rubbish make!! cant get anyone reliable to even service it!!) it has had several repairs over the past 4-5 years. It is now loosing pressure (again!). There are no leaks, it pours out the outlet pipe, and it is mainly only a problem when I put the heating on. I think gettting the right part cleaned, and flushing out the system may resolve it, but how much will that cost, and for how long will it manage this time?!!

Should I replace it is the key question??!! And if so what KW do I need for a new condensing combi, and how much should I expect to pay, as I have had quotes from £1250-£1900 ?!

A summary of answers to the Qs I have been asked are as follows:
I have 3 hot water taps - 2 bathrooms and one in the kitchen.
I have 9 rads - 1 large, 3 medium, 2 small, 2 tiny and 1 towel heater rad (constantly open valve).
My shower is a built in gas power shower working directly off the combi boiler, and there are 4 of us in the house.

Any reliable advise would be much appreciated!!

Replies

• Andy_WSMAndy_WSM Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some here will tell you to run a boiler until it's on it's knees, but it sounds like yours might already be there. I was hit with the same problem. 3 repairs in 2 years finished mine off as I lost my patience with waking up to a cold house with no hot water and decided it was time to upgrade.

About £1500 is to be expected for a boiler change out. Don't skimp out and get an underpowered boiler. I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise on the right sort of size, although may need to know what size property, semi or detached etc to make a more informed decision.

• CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy_WSM wrote: »
    Some here will tell you to run a boiler until it's on it's knees, but it sounds like yours might already be there. I was hit with the same problem. 3 repairs in 2 years finished mine off as I lost my patience with waking up to a cold house with no hot water and decided it was time to upgrade.

About £1500 is to be expected for a boiler change out. Don't skimp out and get an underpowered boiler. I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise on the right sort of size, although may need to know what size property, semi or detached etc to make a more informed decision.

I think most of us on MSE in the 'keep it running' school of thought are referring to our non-condensing boilers which can run more or less trouble free for 20+ years.(mine is 22 years old)

The reason is that condensing boilers are simply not as reliable and 10 years seems to be an average life.
    My shower is a built in gas power shower working directly off the combi boiler

What does this mean? You cannot run a 'power shower' off a combi; they use quantities of hot water far in excess of anything a combi can provide. A power shower has an electrical pump that pumps water from a hot water tank.
  • dopiazadopiaza Forumite
    2 Posts
    Firstly your boiler fault is the expansion vessel/blowoff valve. power flush wont fix this. Very expensive to replace expansion vessel. You could have a remote one fitted approx £200. But I would replace boiler at this age/ reliability. Shower is not power shower it is a mixer run off combi...I presume. Will be ok with another combi. Boiler would recommend 30kW +. Eg worcester 30cdi or vaillant ecotech pro 831.

hope this helps..
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals