🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Debit Card - Unauthorised transaction advice please ?

Options
Would making a single debit card payment ( over the phone for a single payment ) by giving the long debit card number constitute a recurring payment authorisation ?

The company I made the payment to have used my card details to take a second unauthorised payment .

I have contacted my bank who have been less than helpful.

I am hoping to resolve the problem with the company in question , but anticipate a hot battle if they don't play the game .

Checked various articles on recurring payments ( and the potential pitfalls ) and can't believe the banks have not sorted this out yet .

Any feedback much appreciated .

Comments

• BadgerFace_2
    BadgerFace_2 Posts: 333 Forumite
    Options
    Well, what did you buy?

A magazine subscription would most certainly be recurring, a fridge however, should be a one off.
  • Pedro39
    Pedro39 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I made a payment to a debt collection agency ( well known company based in NW ) on behalf of a friend as he had to make a quick payment , but does not have a credit card .
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    What they have done is theft, plain and simple, although the Police won't be interested.

Report it to your bank as an unauthorised transaction.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Pedro39
    Options
    Already informed the bank and trading standards . Trading standards seem interested and asked me to advise them if the debt company don't pay the sum back .

The bank have been less than helpful and suggested that I raise the issue with the company in question which I've already done . If I do have problems , will certainly raise an almighty stink with my bank. I get the impression that they are trying to suggest it's a recurring payment , whilst I see it simply as an unauthorised transaction ( theft ).Have noticed a couple of similar cases on the ombudsmen s website .
  • naijapower
    naijapower Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    Options
    If your bank is proving unhelpful, you want to look at shutting down your account cos in this way there would be no further recurring payments
  • Pedro39
    Options
    Have pondered shutting the account but thought I'd see what the next few days throw up ! Have already got a hefty complaint letter drafted which I will submit even if the matter is resolved .
  • CannyJock
    CannyJock Posts: 3,838 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 May 2010 at 8:26PM
    Options
    Make sure you put things in writing and send it recorded delivery. Make it clear to the debt collection company that they have no authority to take money from you, add a £50 admin charge, plus the cost of the recorded delivery letter and inform them that you will be charging them statutory interest at BOE rate plus 8% until the principal (they amount they took from you), charges and interest are repaid in full.

Advise them that they have been reported to Trading Standards and your credit card's Fraud department.

I always prefer to go in with both boots in these sort of things ;) Every chance you won't get the extras, but may accelerate them repaying the money they took from you.
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport