Heating breakdown, Plumber and Costs

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels
4 replies 688 views
bluedovebluedove Forumite
215 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭
I need a constructive advice to this please:
Just before Christmas last year, I had a leak on my under floor heating pipe connecting to the radiator in my lounge.
I called out a plumbing company, the bloke arrived, and put on pipe sealant; the leak stopped for about 2 days and then reappeared again, another sealant want put in by the same bloke.
This did not stop the leak, but rather the boiler stopped pumping hot water in January, I called the coy, the bloke came again opened the boiler and said that a part need replacement ( a black plastic pipe).
He returned back two days later and replaced the part, I had hot water but the boiler started dripping water from the inside.
The bloke told me that it’s likely the floor will be dug and pipes replaced to stop the leak.
Up until now the boiler is still dripping, the heating pipe is still leaking but I have received a bill of about £400 from this coy for labour and parts.
I would have gladly paid this amount if the problem was sorted out, but the problem has not been resolved and is even worse than it was before I called them out.
I have explained the situation to the coy by phone, but all I get is debt letters, now I am looking into writing them formal a letter, hence seeking opinions here.
Though the vision may not be the true future of man but it can't be completely beyond his control.

Replies

• bluedove wrote: »
    I need a constructive advice to this please:

Just before Christmas last year, I had a leak on my under floor heating pipe connecting to the radiator in my lounge.
    I called out a plumbing company, the bloke arrived, and put on pipe sealant; the leak stopped for about 2 days and then reappeared again, another sealant want put in by the same bloke.
    This did not stop the leak, but rather the boiler stopped pumping hot water in January, I called the coy, the bloke came again opened the boiler and said that a part need replacement ( a black plastic pipe).
    He returned back two days later and replaced the part, I had hot water but the boiler started dripping water from the inside.
    The bloke told me that it’s likely the floor will be dug and pipes replaced to stop the leak.
    Up until now the boiler is still dripping, the heating pipe is still leaking but I have received a bill of about £400 from this coy for labour and parts.
    I would have gladly paid this amount if the problem was sorted out, but the problem has not been resolved and is even worse than it was before I called them out.
    I have explained the situation to the coy by phone, but all I get is debt letters, now I am looking into writing them formal a letter, hence seeking opinions here.

Did you call a plumber or a gas engineer in the first instance?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • bluedovebluedove Forumite
    215 Posts
    ✭✭
    Did you call a plumber or a gas engineer in the first instance?
    The coy does heating and plumbing works
    Though the vision may not be the true future of man but it can't be completely beyond his control.
  • bluedovebluedove Forumite
    215 Posts
    ✭✭
    Bump.

Any more help on this please.
  • i8changei8change Forumite
    422 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    He may have damaged the boiler by using sealant. Sealer cannot be used with my Worcester Bosch, according to the manual.

Check with the manufacturer, as he should have.

Seek legal advice from your local trading standards if he should not have used sealer.

Otherwise, I think sealer is sometimes used as a first resort but with no guarantee of sucess.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals