Perky- comments please

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/trainee_solicitor_wins_parking_ticket_case_for_brother_1_777088

I don't know if this has been discussed on a different thread, if so, accept apologies. Enjoy but please be warned this article contains the four letter f word.
Still waiting for Parking Eye to send the court summons! Make my day!

Replies

• trisontanatrisontana Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    And we get this stupid nonsense from the BPA:_

Parking Eye has received support from The British Parking Association’s Approved Operator Scheme, of which it is a member.

Kelvin Reynolds, director of operations, said: “It is widely accepted that breach of contract is the essence of the arrangement for the management of parking on private land and that a landowner can manage their land and seek compensation for breach of contract.

“The outcome of this case seems to be implying that it is perfectly acceptable for somebody to ignore signage and park in a private car park that has been provided by the owner for the specific use of their customers.”
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Spartacus_MillsSpartacus_Mills Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.lep.co.uk/news/trainee_solicitor_wins_parking_ticket_case_for_brother_1_777088

I don't know if this has been discussed on a different thread, if so, accept apologies. Enjoy but please be warned this article contains the four letter f word.

For a legal eagle his Sister is making a mistake by referring to it as a fine.

The article refers to the charge as a fine.

The outcome is fabulous but the reporting is sloppy.
    "There's no such thing as Macra. Macra do not exist."
    "I could play all day in my Green Cathedral".
    "The Centuries that divide me shall be undone."
    "A dream? Really, Doctor. You'll be consulting the entrails of a sheep next. "
  • peter_the_piperpeter_the_piper Forumite
    30.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not a landmark case unfortunately, this would only come from a higher court(except in Perkyland where any win is a landmark one). They would have got the same result by just ignoring them.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Its not a landmark case unfortunately, this would only come from a higher court......

Which is exactly why Parking Eye WON'T be appealing this, no matter what their "spokesman" says!
  • sarahg1969sarahg1969 Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've taken issue with the LEP about their sloppy reporting before.
  • trisontanatrisontana Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    As somebody over on Pepipoo has pointed out. This was a case of a motorist taking the PPC to court, and not the other way around.
  • daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    10.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "It is widely accepted that breach of contract is the essence of the arrangement for the management of parking on private land"

Only by the BPA, the PPC and those companies stupid enough to employ them.

“The outcome of this case seems to be implying that it is perfectly acceptable for somebody to ignore signage and park in a private car park that has been provided by the owner for the specific use of their customers.”

Maybe the penny is beginning to drop with the BPA numpties that their business model is seriously flawed because it is perfectly acceptable to do just this, inconvenient for the operator, but there is a simple solution.

Cardiff Bay cinema, bowling alley have found a solution. You take a ticket at the barrier. After using one of the facilities you get the ticket validated and put it in the pay machine - no charge.

Park and don't use the facilites and you pay a parking fee.

Dead easy.
  • edited 30 May 2010 at 7:14AM
    trisontanatrisontana Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 May 2010 at 7:14AM
    Unfortunately I know of at least two supermarkets who have gone the opposite way. They used to have barriers at the entrance to their car parks, where an employee of the supermarket would check you receipt and then let you out. They have now taken the "PPC shilling", and employ their thugs to patrol the car-parks.
  • peter_the_piperpeter_the_piper Forumite
    30.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our local Budgeons share a car park with the general public, they put a sign up which says "Take your ticket in for a refund on purchases over £5.00" What they don't say is "Take the tear off section of the ticket etc" I wonder how many take all of it in leaving them exposed? Would they have a comeback in view of the sign?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • CoblcrisCoblcris Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    An appeal by ParkingEye would not be binding in the first instance.

However I agree it is very unlikely as should they win the appeal, which is after all the purpose of appealing, it opens the door to a binding decision. Should they lose it further confirms the opinion of many with regard to this 'business'. It seems therefore to clearly be a lose-lose proposition with immense concomitant risks to the entire 'industry' so I would imagine that the more boisterous participants would actively seek to dissuade ParkingEye from appealing should they in fact be so minded.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS