Dentist fees

Hi everyone just thought id let you know I went for my dreaded check up this morning had to wait 3 months for an appointment but once it was done i was informed that there are now no fees for dental check ups (scotland) so no charge for visit yipee.
Official DFW nerd 206 Proud to be dealing with my debt
£2 savers club joined 25/6/06 £54:dance: (0ver £1200 banked)
LB moment June 06 Debt payed off so far £36000 DFD March 2010:eek:
Reclaimed fees
MBNA £302 RBOS £49.58 Mint £25.95
PPI: A&L £2074 Freemans £770 MBNA £944:j

Comments

• Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Wow. Thats really good news for you.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Lucky you! Think I'll move to Scotland! :D
    4 May 2010 <3
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,072
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just strikes me as an even quicker way to screw up an unsustainable system!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • bertie2
    bertie2 Posts: 26 Forumite
    In Scotland dentists are working on a totally different system to the new NHS contracts in England and wales. you still pay for what you have done (ie 80 percent) but all check ups are free to everyone and the Scottish NHS dentists are happier than their english counterparts!
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Thats good news - wish I lived in Scotland. Its a pity that our dentists are so poor. I have to pay out £16.50 a month or somewhere in that area. Its ridiculous is that amount - I make sure I get my moneys worth though - appointments every 3 months and the slightest sign of toothache and off to the dentist - and I HATE dentists!!
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • BFG_2
    BFG_2 Posts: 2,022 Forumite
    </p>Thats good news - wish I lived in Scotland. Its a pity that our dentists are so poor........</P>..........recent report shows IIRC dentists average earnings £41000, so as your sarcasm says not exactly poor but not exactly the £100k a doctor gets, or the £75k an MP gets.</P> I have to pay out £16.50 a month or somewhere in that area. Its ridiculous is that amount - </P> What's ridiculous about it?? A garage will charge you £50/hr labour for a 17 yr old YTS. A dentist has x yrs training, a qualified nurse working alongside, a building that costs around £300k, equipment that costs about £40k per surgery and a list of other expenses (eg try >£1000 a year that we pay to make sure our x-rays m/cs are OK). </P>......Of course India is cheaper, but then again they don't even wash, never mind sterilise, the instruments between patients....</P>..........I make sure I get my moneys worth though - appointments every 3 months and the slightest sign of toothache and off to the dentist </P>..........</P>.......... good that's what you should do.</P>..........</P>..........and I HATE dentists!!...</P>..........that a shame</p>
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure