Vanquis just blocked my card...

Options
slykal
slykal Posts: 33 Forumite
I called Vanquis to check my balance and I was put through to a customer service representative who said my card had been blocked because my last payment (a balance transfer) took me into negative balance and since it was a breach of contract and because it was a large amount I would have to send proof of where the funds came from before I can use my card!!! I told her there was no way I went into negative balance my balance transfer was the full amount to my Flybe card (£1300) She then confirmed that my balance was currently £0 that there must have been some other payments pre-authorized that made my balance negative. :huh:

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Flybe - £1500 19.9% ||| Silver Mastercard - £2000 18.9%
Vanquis - £1500 34.08%
HSBC Credit Card - £750 22.9%
Outfit - £300 ||| HSBC Overdraft - £100 ||| Halifax Overdraft - £200

Comments

• slykal
    Options
    So I guess no one else has experienced this... I'll probably just cancel my card.
    Vanquis - £1500 34.08%
  • andymc29
    andymc29 Posts: 462 Forumite
    Options
    I'd say it's good they've blocked your card, at 34% you really should avoiding it at all costs.
    Bank Loans: [STRIKE]£25000[/STRIKE] £0- Barclay Card 14%: [STRIKE]£2500[/STRIKE] £0- Student Loan: [STRIKE]£12,500[/STRIKE] £0
    Current total [STRIKE]£40,000[/STRIKE] £0:j (100% PAID OFF)
  • hopefulfooluk
    hopefulfooluk Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    slykal wrote: »
    I called Vanquis to check my balance and I was put through to a customer service representative who said my card had been blocked because my last payment (a balance transfer) took me into negative balance and since it was a breach of contract and because it was a large amount I would have to send proof of where the funds came from before I can use my card!!! I told her there was no way I went into negative balance my balance transfer was the full amount to my Flybe card (£1300) She then confirmed that my balance was currently £0 that there must have been some other payments pre-authorized that made my balance negative. :huh:

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Are you trying to say that your credit card was in credit (ie they would have had to pay you money if you'd closed the account)?

I've just been accepted by vanquis - only reason I need it is to hire a car in France and was going to put extra funds onto it if I got a poor limit (eg if I get £150 limit i would credit the account with £350 in case car hire firm does a pre-auth for £500).

Can't do that if they're going to freeze it should the card be in credit!
  • slykal
    Options
    Are you trying to say that your credit card was in credit (ie they would have had to pay you money if you'd closed the account)?

I've just been accepted by vanquis - only reason I need it is to hire a car in France and was going to put extra funds onto it if I got a poor limit (eg if I get £150 limit i would credit the account with £350 in case car hire firm does a pre-auth for £500).

Can't do that if they're going to freeze it should the card be in credit!

Yep they claimed having a positive balance breaches the terms of agreement... so it wouldn't be advisable to transfer extra money to the card.

Anyway, the block was lifted after I faxed them my flybe statement and balance transfer confirmation. It took them about four days and hours of phone calls to unblock it after they received the fax lol. Their customer service is horrible.
    Vanquis - £1500 34.08%
  • hopefulfooluk
    hopefulfooluk Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    slykal wrote: »
    Yep they claimed having a positive balance breaches the terms of agreement... so it wouldn't be advisable to transfer extra money to the card.

Anyway, the block was lifted after I faxed them my flybe statement and balance transfer confirmation. It took them about four days and hours of phone calls to unblock it after they received the fax lol. Their customer service is horrible.

Thanks very much for the clarification :)
  • paulmcerlean
    paulmcerlean Posts: 831 Forumite
    Options
    This can happen unfortunately with CC providers - I know of a friend who had a similar problem with Barclaycard, although the balances involved were 10K +
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure