Car Insurance - Legal Expenses cover

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
7 replies 688 views
CrashtogetherCrashtogether Forumite
102 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Can somebody else what this is an whether it's worth taking? My renewal has given me this option and also another option to get personal injury insurance.

Replies

• doelanidoelani Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Personally I would not be without it .

Hubby had accident in May 2007, took until January 2009 to get claim settled. Other driver at fault but ended up going to court to prove who was at fault and would hate to think what it would have cost if we had not had legal cover and had lost the case.

Ours cost us £10 a year and to me well worth it.
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • adamc260adamc260 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    It's there to recover any uninsured losses (excess etc), help fund any personal injury cases against someone else if they're at fault, hire/transport costs etc

Most people take it, doesn't cost a lot and it's there incase! :)
  • Jane2005Jane2005 Forumite
    73 Posts
    I wouldn't take car insurance without legal protection, yeah it may increase your premium a little, but if you were involved in an accident you would have to do all the work yourself trying to get back any expenses, excess, loss of earnings etc, now that is going to cost you a fortune not to mention all the time you would spend trying to so that.
  • edited 1 May 2010 at 1:22PM
    QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 May 2010 at 1:22PM
    "Legal Protection" is really uninsured loss recovery.

They only will help you if you have a reasonable chance of winning. Just like any claim handler.

But claim handlers can be instructed after the event at no charge (some will give you a commission for instructing them). Sounds better than paying your insurer up front!

(And your insurer will just get commission from the solicitors should you need to use the "legal protection" - win win for the insurers)
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But claim handlers can be instructed after the event at no charge

There are somtimes liabilities for their costs if they are not covered by the other side.
    I can provide some evidence of this (Solicitor from Bristol my MIL used) if people want proof.

Personally I would get the isurance as then you are covered for £50K worth of legal fees and don't have any worries about being persued personally for costs in the small print.
  • foggytownfoggytown Forumite
    325 Posts
    A point to consider: a big reason for having "uninsured losses" is because the driver at fault is uninsured. All the legal expenses in the world won't help you collect a legitimate debt from someone who, since they didn't buy insurance to begin with, is probably judgement proof! And isn't your own insurer going to try to get your excess back anyway because they will be subrogating against the other driver anyway for the payout for your car.
    42 years of experience in the insurance industry.
    And nothing the industry tries do to us surprises me any more!
  • dacouchdacouch Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    foggytown wrote: »
    A point to consider: a big reason for having "uninsured losses" is because the driver at fault is uninsured. All the legal expenses in the world won't help you collect a legitimate debt from someone who, since they didn't buy insurance to begin with, is probably judgement proof! And isn't your own insurer going to try to get your excess back anyway because they will be subrogating against the other driver anyway for the payout for your car.

A large percentage of Insurers will not recover the excess from the third party as it is an uninsured loss.

http://www.mib.org.uk/Customer+Services/en/Accidents+in+the+UK/Uninsured+Drivers+Agreement/Uninsured+Drivers.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals