Road accident both mirrors smashed

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
10 replies 690 views
Mr_man_4Mr_man_4 Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Hi last week travelling up a main road with parked cars on my near side following a line of traffic & a car coming towards me following a line of traffic as well with parked some parked cars on her side. We were both moving & ended up clipping mirrors mine was smashed & cost me £40 quid to repair overall her mirror sustained minor damage to.

The other driver is claiming its my fault and is saying £50 quid for replacement from a scrap yard when all was damaged on her mirror was the integrated indicator or she goes to insurance. What leads me to believe I’m getting held over a barrel here is the car is virtually new registered in December so I don’t think a scrap yard would have a full mirror for that price.

Now what are my rights do I just say go to your insurance & make a claim as she has my reg & contact number & I have hers? I have not claimed due to the minimal value to fix the problem.

Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mr Man.

Replies

• mikey72mikey72 Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I understand your post correctly, she had the right of way, you were on the wrong side of the road overtaking and hit her. You're lucky she doesn't insist on a complete new mirror and matching paint. I'd pay while you have the chance.
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The safest way to play this is tell the third party you don't accept liability, and see what happens.

Inform your insurer about the incident.

If you hear anymore about it pass it to your insurer to deal with.
  • No I wasnt overtaking her. I was on a were on normal road travelling in opposite directions this part of the road has no visable white lines as well in that section. I dont believe it to be my fault & they are insistant its mine & won't back down. All i realy want to know is do I have to inform my insurer as I have fixed it myself or just wait for them to make a claim?
  • daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knock for knock. Don't pay a bean.
  • mttyladmttylad Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I'm no expert, but £50 is cheap considering how much it will cost in future insurance costs should you have to declare this.

But I would not be handing any money over until I get a written agreement that no further action will be taken & that if any insurance companies are involved the money would be repaid.

Try the scrap yards yourself trying to find a mirror, do ebay searches etc to find the replacement, try the manufacturer etc.

Also (contrary to what I just said) failure to tell your insurer of this may
    well enable them to void your insurance should you have a worse accident.
  • BarneysmomBarneysmom Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you get a receipt so they don't go to the insurance as well...........
  • mikey72mikey72 Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_man wrote: »
    No I wasnt overtaking her. I was on a were on normal road travelling in opposite directions this part of the road has no visable white lines as well in that section. I dont believe it to be my fault & they are insistant its mine & won't back down. All i realy want to know is do I have to inform my insurer as I have fixed it myself or just wait for them to make a claim?

You said you were passing parked cars, parked on your side of the road, so you must have moved over.
    If there had been a white line, whose car was over it, your's or her's?
  • It made perfect sense to me, OP. Sounds like a 50/50 which is more likely to impact both policies if it goes through the insurance. Suggest that they sort out their own damage like you've sorted yours.

The only problem you may have is if they're fully comp and you're TPFT.
  • adamc260adamc260 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    In my opinion that's defo knock for knock, both parties have to proceed with caution if parked vehicles on either side, no one has a clear right of way, 50/50 all the way! :)

If the damage is minimal agree to not claim if the other person doesnt and the claims will be closed and just pay for the damage yourself (only for your own) if it isn't that much
  • Claim or not, you are obliged to inform your Insurance Co.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals