what would happen with Tulip bulbs planted now?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
10 replies 1.2K views
southerlysoutherly Forumite
181 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I know tulips should have been planted in autumn/winter and be flowering now, I saw some reduced to £1.50 for 10 at a nursery, and didn't buy them as I thought it would be a waste of money. I want more tulips, and looked at J Parkers website, where they are quite expensive, £5 - £6. Would it be a total waste of money on dead bulbs? They looked like they were maybe trying to sprout, but there was no real shoot sticking out. I think I would be better waiting till they are in stock in Wilkos later in the year, I just know I will forget then! Does anyone remember how much Wilkos charge? Last time I bought from there they were about £2 for 10, but that was a while ago, and also many of them were not the variety they should have been!

Replies

• savemoneysavemoney Forumite
    18.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No store them and plant them in Autumn

Nows best time to move many bulbs like daffs/snow drops if you need them moving
  • bertiebotsbertiebots Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    savemoney wrote: »
    No store them and plant them in Autumn

Nows best time to move many bulbs like daffs/snow drops if you need them moving

Sorry dont mean to hyjack but when you move snowdrops should you move them leaves and all? I have a couple of huge clumps I want to move about:o.

To the OP if your like medont buy the bulbs now or you will find them next year at the back of the shed-trying to grow out of the bag:rotfl: probably best to wait till august and buy and plant on the same day:D
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200:D FEB GC £197.31 out of £180:o. MARCH GC - out of £200
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bertiebots wrote: »
    Sorry dont mean to hyjack but when you move snowdrops should you move them leaves and all? I have a couple of huge clumps I want to move about

Yes, snowdrops are best planted "in the green" that is with leaves on, otherwise they tend to dry out as they are small bulbs

So, do it now, leaves and all
  • suisidevwsuisidevw Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Farway,

Planted too many daffs in one border compared to the other, starting to die now........ worth moving across right now?

Thanks
  • edited 29 April 2010 at 4:37PM
    PainkillerPainkiller Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 April 2010 at 4:37PM
    suisidevw wrote: »
    Hi Farway,

Planted too many daffs in one border compared to the other, starting to die now........ worth moving across right now?

Thanks

I think they said now is the right time to be repositioning daffodils (leaving the leaves on) on last weeks Gardeners World.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mw1h move the slider to the 27 minute mark.

They say the foliage is left on to make food for next year's flowers.
    18.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes all of them, I did this last year to divide them up and got some new ones from a neighbour that are slightly different to normal ones

For Daffs just dead head them. I fed mine with bonemeal and blood and watered so it will feed the bulbs, I got odd one or two that didnt flower this time
    bertiebots wrote: »
    Sorry dont mean to hyjack but when you move snowdrops should you move them leaves and all? I have a couple of huge clumps I want to move about:o.

To the OP if your like medont buy the bulbs now or you will find them next year at the back of the shed-trying to grow out of the bag:rotfl: probably best to wait till august and buy and plant on the same day:D
  • ds1980ds1980 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    in similar position with literally hundreds of bulbs spring and summer but no idea really. Can't i still just plant them? If not should i wrap them up from sunlight and wait until autumn?

Thanks,
  • ixwoodixwood Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    I'd plant them now. They may even flower this year, then get back into a normal pattern next year.
  • maypolemaypole Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Just been listening to Gardeners Question time, the latest they recommend is January and that is pushing it. They did a trial of how late you could plant them, apparently the February planted ones came to nothing. So I would store them until November then plant them out.
    18.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No let bulbs store and it will save there energy for next years growth. Now is the time to store bulbs if you want them out or move them once they start to die down
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals