Telewest customer looking for best deal

in Phones & TV
13 replies 1.1K views
tifftiff Forumite
6.6K Posts
Savvy Shopper!
✭✭✭✭
We currently have our phone, Broadband access and cable tv with Telewest. As we have TV and phone together we dont pay line rental. I've read loads of posts about 18866 but am still confused as to whether its the best option for me?
“A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey

Replies

• tiff wrote:
    We currently have our phone, Broadband access and cable tv with Telewest. As we have TV and phone together we dont pay line rental. I've read loads of posts about 18866 but am still confused as to whether its the best option for me?
    I don’t know Telewest’s call rates but a couple of simple ‘for instances’ should help you decide.

(1). How much would a 10 minute call from your home phone to another UK 01 or 02 number cost at 10:00 am on a Wednesday morning cost?

From a BT Together Option 1 landline (which most BT customers are now on), it’d cost 30p (they charge 3p per minute 0600 to 1800 weekdays).

From a Telewest landline, it’d cost _____________ (insert figure here).

From that same BT landline using 1899, it’d cost a total of 3p.

(2). How much would a 10 minute call from your home phone to another UK 01 or 02 number cost at 9:00 pm on a Wednesday evening?

From a BT Together Option 1 landline (which most BT customers are now on), it’d cost 5½p (they charge a flat rate of 5½p for up to an hour 1800-0600 weekdays and at any time at weekends).

From a Telewest landline, it’d cost _____________ (insert figure here).

From that same BT landline using 1899, it’d still cost a total of 3p.
    30 years, 217 days!
  • dave_dphdave_dph Forumite
    581 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    tiff wrote:

from a Telewest line you probably will be better using 1899, 3p per call to landlines at any time.
  • derrickderrick Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    1899 & 18866 charge the connection fee ( 3p & 1p resepctively) then 1/2p per minute as it is accesed for cable users via an 0808 number and that is there charge for 0808/0800 numbers
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• dave2986dave2986 Forumite
    164 Posts
    i have TW and use 18866 and an orchid dailer dont have any probs, mobile rates are cheaper then TW too

BTW TW give free weekend calls to 01 and 02 numbers so i configure it to use TW at weekends :)
  • derrick wrote:
    1899 & 18866 charge the connection fee ( 3p & 1p resepctively) then 1/2p per minute as it is accesed for cable users via an 0808 number and that is there charge for 0808/0800 numbers

1899 DO NOT CHARGE 1/2p A MINUTE FOR UK CALLS FROM CABLE USERS -only the 3p connection fee. I am a pleased customer of 1899 via their 0808 number on an NTL line. (18866 do however charge the 0.5p per minute).
  • I currently have my phone,broadbnd and cable tv with telewest.i am happy with my broadband and tv deal.but know i'm paying way over the top for my phone calls.thinking of using 1889 can anyone give me any feedback, on there customer service,or tips on how to get the best out of them. :xmassign:
  • FlimberFlimber Forumite
    736 Posts
    chalktalk wrote:
    1899 DO NOT CHARGE 1/2p A MINUTE FOR UK CALLS FROM CABLE USERS -only the 3p connection fee. I am a pleased customer of 1899 via their 0808 number on an NTL line. (18866 do however charge the 0.5p per minute).

They do for me on a Telewest line. After I dial, it says "half a pence per minute" and when I check my bills it is.

Mike.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I currently have my phone,broadbnd and cable tv with telewest.i am happy with my broadband and tv deal.but know i'm paying way over the top for my phone calls.thinking of using 1889 can anyone give me any feedback, on there customer service,or tips on how to get the best out of them. :xmassign:
    1899, 18866 and 18185 are all no frills services. To get the best out of them, sign up and use them instead of Telewest for all your calls to UK 01/02 numbers.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Flimber wrote:
    They do for me on a Telewest line. After I dial, it says "half a pence per minute" and when I check my bills it is.

Mike.

When Flimber wrote that some months ago they did not charge half a p a minute.They have only recently started to do so. ;)
  • Heinz wrote:
    1899, 18866 and 18185 are all no frills services. To get the best out of them, sign up and use them instead of Telewest for all your calls to UK 01/02 numbers.

Also use 18185 for your mobile calls.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides