🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Lawn drainage advice please

Options
I'm normally on the OS board, but thought this one might be more appropriate for my question.
The current situation is that I have an area in the garden that was supposed to be a lawn. The soil is very heavy clay and was nothing but a mud slide as a result. The original plan was to put down several inches of bark to alleviate the problem for this year and next, then dig it in after that, hoping to improve the condition.
After killing off the weeds/grass I decided to dig the soil as it was badly compacted, doing that showed that it was going to need a bit more help, so I've ordered some sand.... however I still don't think that's going to be enough. I think I need to put down a level of stones to aid drainage, but I'm not sure how deep down to put them for a lawn, nor how deep I should make the layer of stones, nor where to put them (please don't say the whole area!!!!)
I've done the test where you put some soil in water, shake vigorously and wait to seperate and it appears that the soil is roughly 60% clay. The area is approx 32meter square - I've only ordered a ton of sand (builders) Is this going to be enough?
Any help on this will be graefully received - I want to do a fair job on it, but I don't want to end up buried - either in the garden, nor deeper in debt :D
Off to dig some more with fingers crossed for some help!
Kaz x
January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family