PPI Living in spain

Options
I have lived in spain for eight years and tried to make a claim on my PPI and was told as i live in spain am not eligible to claim. please note my credit card bills are addressed to spain and have been for eight years.
any advice anyone?

Comments

• marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    Options
    What do your terms and conditions say?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Were you eligible at the point you took it out?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Stuart_1980
    Options
    Hi,

It sounds like a prime case of mis-selling, they were happy to charge you extra every month but as soon as you try to claim your not eligible to do so.

Have a look on this website there is more than enough info and sample letters, make sure you know your rights including how long they have to respond to each of your letters.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    It sounds like a prime case of mis-selling

How do you come by that opinion. Mis-selling applies at point of sale. If the Op was in Spain at point of sale then its mis-sold. If he later become ineligible then its not mis-sold. At this stage we don't know the circumstances when bought so cant say if it was mis-sold or not.

However, even if it wasnt mis-sold, there is still some potential to get some refund with the goodwill of the insurer. If you can prove you were not eligible from a certain date, then the insurers will often refund premiums back to that point.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • pattii
    Options
    This is my pal in Spain and she did the transaction in England and then later moved to Spain all the bills are sent to her Spanish address so they knew she lived in Spain.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    pattii wrote: »
    This is my pal in Spain and she did the transaction in England and then later moved to Spain all the bills are sent to her Spanish address so they knew she lived in Spain.

Ok. So, it wasnt mis-sold then. She later become ineligible.

Whilst you would expect them to pick up the change of address, it often doesnt happen. It may be that you remain a UK resident but have a Spanish home you spend at weekends and do the post then. Common sense says they ought to have queried it but then the staff dealing with changes of address are likely to be work experience or contract staff. Not saying that is right but just giving you some background.

I would suggest requesting a refund of premiums from the point of ineligibility. i.e. the point she ceased to be a UK resident.
  • zubo
    zubo Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Dunstonh

I know this thread is old but can I ask... On behalf of a friend in spain...

If originally in uk the ppi was missold then surely regardless of where you live the policy status remains missold and you are entitled to reclaim?
  • dunstonh
    Options
    If originally in uk the ppi was missold then surely regardless of where you live the policy status remains missold and you are entitled to reclaim?

Correct. Missale is about the scenario at point of sale.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 2 July 2018 at 10:47AM
    Options
    zubo wrote: »
    Yes, your friend can still complain to the Bank concerned about mis-sold PPI in the same way he could if he was still resident here. The likely problem, however, will be a lack of records of the finance. That's assuming the friend left the UK a number of years ago and no longer has an account with the Bank in question. Does your friend have documentary evidence of the PPI?
  • zubo
    zubo Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Don't think so..

Can I act as her agent to issue new sar?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure