Constant calls from 0207395**98

in Phones & TV
6 replies 1.2K views
Hi,

Sorry if this is slightly off topic but I get a couple of calls each day from the above number, each time I answer the line is silent for around 5 seconds and then the caller hangs up - upon phoning the number back I simply get a (badly) recorded message stating 'This number does not accept incoming calls' (repeated twice before the line goes dead).

It would appear I am not the only one getting this: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060707074640AAmIfSk

however there were not really any useful answers in response to that query. This has only happened since joining TalkTalk and I never received these when on BT so I'm wondering if this is related in some way - I only use the landline for work (and close family use it sometimes to get in touch with me) where I phone a very select few companies, so any psychotic stalkers is out of the window on this one ;) Any ideas on this?

I thought at first it was a marketing/scam idea where I call back and get charged a fortune or something, however its simply a london-based number and not a premium rate so I don't understand how anyone is benefitting from this? I should probably also state that I am registered with TPS.

Many Thanks,

Shaun

Replies

• baltbalt Forumite
    308 Posts
    See my post about Halifax above but as you are a business you should call
    0800 800 152 for BT chose to refuse service.
  • icecoolbabeicecoolbabe Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same problem. So I did a search on the number on google in case it came up on the off chance - and it did.

It turned out to be the arrears department of a well known building society - of which I have never had an account.

I phoned them and they took my number off their records.

They were looking for someone else.
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  • stevee_2stevee_2 Forumite
    87 Posts
    If you were registered with TPS before you joined TalkTalk I think you have to register again with them.
  • Paul_VarjakPaul_Varjak Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    That number is a DDI and belongs to a company called Band X:

http://www.band-x.com/

Ring them on their main number (020 7395 4500) and tell them about your problem!
  • Thanks for the responses...
    stevee wrote:
    If you were registered with TPS before you joined TalkTalk I think you have to register again with them.

I tried that, but they simply said that my number is already registered :)

That number is a DDI and belongs to a company called Band X:

Sorry to be thick, but whats a DDI?
  • DDI (Direct Dialling In), is a feature offered by telephone companies for use with their customers' (Switchboard) PBX system, whereby the telephone company (telco) allocates a range of numbers all connected to their customer's PBX. As calls are presented to the PBX, the number that the caller dialed is also given, so that the PBX can decide which person in the office to route the call to.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News