18866 - suddenly cannot take from my usual credit card

in Phones & TV
3 replies 571 views
ChristabelChristabel Forumite
250 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
I have just had a message from 18866 saying that they cannot take their July bill from my usual credit card and that I am to follow a link to pay by some other method.

I am suspicious because I have not reached my credit card limit by a long way, nor is it a new card that is not yet activated. When I follow the link to pay again it constantly tells me that the 'page cannot be displayed'.

When I contacted them and asked them to try again with my usual credit card they replied with a standard letter saying they were not able to do this.

So I'm stuck now and concerned that, though no fault of my own, I will have a bad debt set against me.

Has anyone else had this?

Replies

• HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, can't explain.

However, 1899 is cheaper now for UK 01/02 calls (3p connection as opposed to 18866's 5p).

Additionally, I changed to Direct Debit with 1899, 18185 and 18866 a few months ago by just logging on to each of my accounts and entering the details. Is that an option for you? It'd certainly overcome the present difficulty and is safer than continuous credit card authority too.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Steve.W_2Steve.W_2 Forumite
    53 Posts
    Christabel wrote:
    I have just had a message from 18866 saying that they cannot take their July bill from my usual credit card and that I am to follow a link to pay by some other method.

I had a similar problem with 18866 last month, I received an email from them saying that my bank had refused to pay the direct debit intruction even though I had paid by this method for some time. They immediately suspended my 18866 service & also blocked my on-line account so I was unable to log in & enter any other method of payment, the link they requested I follow to set up an alternative method of payment was like you found 'dead'.
    I also discovered my calls through 1899 & 18185 had also been suspended & my on-line accounts with these companys also blocked because their payments are collected through the same company as 18866.

It took me about two weeks of backward & forwards emails to sort the problem out because 18866 would only except my new card details by email & I didn't feel that this was secure.
    The result in the end was I received the email below in which I believe they cancelled my account & my 1899/18185 accounts then resumed normal service:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your email.

Please note you have deleted your phone number, reason your account with 18866 has been already
    unsubscribed.

You are lucky! You do not have to pay the outstanding amount as we do not debit the credit card
    for the outstanding payment less then 2 GBP.

We hope this has answered your question.

Should you have any further queries about Call18866 please visit our list of Frequently Asked Questions http://www.call18866.co.uk/faq.php

Kind regards,
    18866 Customer Services
    Good luck, you will need it.
  • ChristabelChristabel Forumite
    250 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thanks Heinz and Steve W. for your replies.

I can see that I am going to have trouble, like Steve, in clearing this up. I take on board what Heinz says about 1899 being cheaper and I will use them once this matter is sorted out.

I have just signed up for TalkTalk option 2 so will only need these other companies for weekly day time calls and I don't make many of those.

Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides