Child and working tax credits?

kezz
kezz Forumite Posts: 119 Forumite
Hi, This is the first time ive posted on this site although I have been lurking around for ages.
I wonder if anyone can enlighten me on the tax credits system as we have just been awarded an amount that we feel may be too high.
My partner works 40+ hours a week and earns £25,800 gross. I was self employed and earnt £12,381 net in that tax year. I have a 16 year old who is unemployed but signed up with connexions and a three year old. We do not pay for any child care.
We have been awarded £105 working tax credits and £181 child tax credits.
Is this right? It seems like an awful lot. of course we will be delighted if it is correct but Im scared as we are already £4000 in debt and we are really trying to get debt free. I dont want to rely on money that isnt really there:confused: My partner is going to have to change his job in September and will probably on about £22000 and I havent earnt anything since November, so this is a really scarey time for us anyway without false hopes.
Thanks
Kerry

Comments

• filigree_2
    filigree_2 Forumite Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Are those amounts per week or per month?

Your incomes are similar to ours, and we have one 12 year old child. We only get £547 a year and I believe this is correct. I would be surprised if you got any more than that.

I am VERY surprised that you get working tax credits as you have to be on a very low income to get that. Possibly they didn't take your husband's income into account? It seems to be quite a common mistake that they "forget" one partner's income.

Best phone them up and check the amounts. In the meantime, put the money into a savings account so you can earn interest until you have to pay it back.
  • kezz
    Those are the amounts per month. It is too much isnt it :(
  • kezz
    I just phoned them. They didnt have any income for my partner. Its really bad that they are still making big mistakes like this. We thought we were rich :o Oh well looks like we have an interest free loan.
  • cheepskate_2
    cheepskate_2 Forumite Posts: 1,669
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    kezz wrote:
    I just phoned them. They didnt have any income for my partner. Its really bad that they are still making big mistakes like this. We thought we were rich :o Oh well looks like we have an interest free loan.

hi
    I wouldnt worry too much about the paying it back as all they will do is stop your ctc , which should be 545 for the year , until it is paid , fantastic loan to be paid back at 10 per week without interest :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 601K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure